What Sense Does High Velocity Travel Make? - Oh-My-God Particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using faster-than-light travel in science fiction, specifically in the Star Trek universe. The idea of the "Oh-My-God particle" is brought up as an example of a hypothetical particle that could travel at speeds much faster than the speed of light. The conversation also touches on the limitations and inconsistencies of using such technology in storytelling, such as the twin paradox and the need to ignore certain principles of relativity in order for the plot to work. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the use of scientific concepts in science fiction and the challenges of incorporating them into a fictional universe.
KingOrdo
In a description of the discovery of the so-called 'Oh-My-God particle' (http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/ohmygodpart.html), the following assertion is made:
It is interesting to observe that a real particle, in our universe, subject to all the laws of physics we understand, is a rather better interstellar voyager than the best fielded in the 24th century by the United Federation of Planets. Their much-vaunted Galaxy Class starships are capable of speeds slightly in excess of Warp Factor 9, an apparent velocity of 1516 cochranes (or 1516 times the speed of light).[4] At a velocity of 1516 c, traveling to the centre of the galaxy would take, as perceived by the life forms on board, a little more than 21 years. By contrast, an observer on board the Oh-My-God particle would arrive at the nucleus of the Milky Way, according to his clock, just about 3 seconds after leaving Starbase Terra. That's more than 9,700,000 times faster than the starship. In the time the starship spends vacuum-whooshing and rumbling its way to the nearby star Aldebaran, the particle could travel to the edge of the visible universe.

The idea seems to be, essentially, that it would take 21 years to go from Earth to the center of the galaxy at 1516c, while only taking 3 seconds to make the same trip at (very close to) c. How could that be? What sense does that make?

Physics news on Phys.org
KingOrdo said:
The idea seems to be, essentially, that it would take 21 years to go from Earth to the center of the galaxy at 1516c, while only taking 3 seconds to make the same trip at (very close to) c. How could that be? What sense does that make?
Because under the Newtonian rules they're assuming in the 1516c calculation, there is no time dilation or length contraction; but with relativity, the clocks of a ship moving to the center of the galaxy at very close to c would be slowed down in the galaxy's frame, and by getting the ship arbitrarily close to c you can slow them down as much as you want, even to the extent that only 3 seconds would pass on the moving clock during the 30,000 years or so it would take in the galaxy's frame. In the ship's frame, its clocks are not slowed down, but the length of the galaxy is Lorentz-contracted, and again it can be contracted to an arbitrary degree, enough so that the distance from Earth to the center in the ship's frame is less than 3 light-seconds.

In the frame of the OMG particle, the distance between the Earth and the center of the galaxy is length contracted, to a number much less than 1516 light years.

If you consider the "round trip" case, this is just an example of the twin paradox.

Twin A sets out at the velocity of the OMG particle, goes to the center of the galaxy in 3 seconds, turns around instantaneously, and proceeds back to the Earth in another 3 seconds, making the round trip in 6 seconds.

Twin B, on Earth, experiences 60,000 years.

Indeed. And why do they use "Newtonian rules" for the spacecraft ? I assume it's because special relativity is invalid for speeds greater than c?

KingOrdo said:
Indeed. And why do they use "Newtonian rules" for the spacecraft ? I assume it's because special relativity is invalid for speeds greater than c?
Partly that, and probably partly also because that's just how things seem to work on Star Trek, no one ever ages differently depending on what "warp" they've been moving at.

KingOrdo said:

Mainly it's because to do otherwise would causes too many plot problems:

Data: "Captain, we are receiving a distress call from Star Base 10. They are under attack by the Romulans.

Picard: "How fast can we get there?"

Data: " 15 minutes at warp 9, sir"

Picard" Very well, plot a course and engage!"

15 minutes later, by the ship's clock, the Enterprise arrives at Star Base 10, only to find that the battle has been over for some 2 weeks and the Star Base is now in the hands of the Romulans!

IOW, for the sake of telling the story, Warp drive is assumed to side step Relativity issues.

Janus said:
IOW, for the sake of telling the story, Warp drive is assumed to side step Relativity issues.
Yes. It wasn't called Warp Drive just for fun...

The technobabble explanation of the Warp Drive is that it shrinks the space in front of the craft and expands the space behind the craft. The "Warp factor" is not a "speed" at all, it is literally the factor by which it exaggerates this space "warping" effect. The craft does not actually exceed c in its local "Warp bubble" of space.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. It wasn't called Warp Drive just for fun...

The technobabble explanation of the Warp Drive is that it shrinks the space in front of the craft and expands the space behind the craft. The "Warp factor" is not a "speed" at all, it is literally the factor by which it exaggerates this space "warping" effect. The craft does not actually exceed c in its local "Warp bubble" of space.
I don't think that explanation was ever used on the Star Trek show itself though, was it? There is actually a real proposal in general relativity that would work in a similar way, known as the Alcubierre warp drive, but I think it's not actually completely clear whether it could be used to travel to other stars or galaxies in less time than a light beam traveling through normal semiflat space would. As for Star Trek, the most logical explanation I've seen is the one here, which suggests that in the Star Trek universe "subspace" actually defines a preferred frame for FTL travel, thereby avoiding the problem of causality violations which would arise if it was supposed to be consistent with relativity (I would think if the Alcubierre bubble could get to distant destinations in otherwise flat space faster than a light beam traveling through the flat space would, then this would lead to causality violations as well, despite the fact that the ship inside the bubble does not locally travel faster than c...I know that GR predicts wormholes could lead to causality violations if quantum effects don't destroy them, even though no one locally travels faster than c when going through the wormhole either).

Related to What Sense Does High Velocity Travel Make? - Oh-My-God Particle

What is the "Oh-My-God Particle"?

The "Oh-My-God Particle" is the name given to a specific ultra-high energy cosmic ray that was detected by scientists in 1991. It was named this because of its incredibly high energy level, which was estimated to be around 50 joules.

What is high velocity travel?

High velocity travel refers to the movement of an object at a speed that is significantly greater than the speed of sound. In other words, it is traveling at supersonic or even hypersonic speeds.

Why is high velocity travel important to study?

High velocity travel is important to study because it allows scientists to better understand the effects of extreme speeds on objects and particles. It also has practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering and space travel.

What sense does high velocity travel make?

High velocity travel makes sense in the context of studying cosmic rays and other particles that travel at incredibly high speeds. It allows scientists to better understand the universe and the forces at work within it.

What can we learn from studying the Oh-My-God Particle?

Studying the Oh-My-God Particle can provide valuable insights into the origins and composition of cosmic rays, as well as the physical laws that govern the universe. It also allows us to push the boundaries of our understanding and technology in the field of high velocity travel.