What shape does a deformed body take after being stretched?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a metal rectangle that is being stretched and the possible shape of the top and bottom lines of the body. The speaker asks for recommendations for papers or books on the subject. The other person responds by suggesting the Die Design Handbook and asking for more information about the specific problem and how the forces are acting on the plate.
Vajhe
Hi, I have a problem that I'm trying to solve and I'm not sure at all how can I proceed.

If we have a metal rectangle (or maybe a rectangle-shaped hole in a piece metal), and we stretch this body a small distance, what is the shape of the top and bottom lines of the body? Can we say it is a catenary? A parabole?

Can anyone lead to me to some good papers or books in the subject?

Thank in advance. :oldsmile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Die Design Handbook, ASTE (Amer. Soc. of Tool Eng.).

@Vajhe

The deformed shape of a plate depends on the initial shape , dimensions and material properties of the plate and on the system of forces applied to it .

There is extensive information available about how to analyse structural deformation problems .

What is the particular problem you want to solve ? Can you draw the plate and show how the forces act on it ?

Last edited:
Punch the hole after stretching :-)

Related to What shape does a deformed body take after being stretched?

1. What causes a body to become deformed?

There are several factors that can cause a body to become deformed, including genetics, injuries, diseases, and external forces such as pressure or impact. Some deformities may be present at birth, while others may develop over time.

2. How can we measure the shape of a deformed body?

There are various techniques that can be used to measure the shape of a deformed body, such as 3D scanning, X-rays, MRI, and physical measurements. The choice of method will depend on the type and severity of the deformity, as well as the resources available.

3. Can a deformed body be corrected?

In some cases, a deformed body can be corrected through medical interventions such as surgery or physical therapy. However, the extent to which a deformity can be corrected will depend on its cause and severity. Some deformities may be permanent and cannot be fully corrected.

4. Are all deformities visible to the naked eye?

No, some deformities may be internal and not visible to the naked eye. These may only be detected through medical imaging or physical examinations. Additionally, some deformities may not be noticeable unless they cause functional impairments or pain.

5. How does a deformed body affect a person's life?

The impact of a deformed body on a person's life will vary depending on the type and severity of the deformity, as well as the individual's personal circumstances. It may affect their physical abilities, self-esteem, and social interactions. It is important to provide support and accommodations for individuals with deformed bodies to help them live fulfilling lives.