What should I do after finding the total impedance?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the relationship between power absorbed by the load and power delivered by the source when the impedances of the load and source are conjugates. The suggested approach is to use Z_Load = R + iX and Z_Source = R - iX and find the total impedance. The next step is to find the total power across the impedances and the power across each of the impedances. This approach should help in understanding the concept. The total impedance has been determined to be 2R, but further steps are needed to solve the problem. The conversation also reminds the individual not to rely on others for homework answers, as it does not promote learning and understanding of the subject matter.
roshan2004
show that the power absorbed by the load is half the power delivered by source when the load and source impedances are conjugates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you've tried so far. If other people supply your homework answers, you won't end up learning much.

I have tried to use the formula of impedences,but still couldnot get it at all.

Maybe try with Z_Load = R + iX, and Z_Source as the conjugate of Z_Load?
What is the total impedance?
What is the total power across these resistances?
...Across each?

Answer the above guiding questions (in this forum), and it should help you understand the concept.

Last edited:
I got 2R as total impedance.After that what should I do?

roshan2004 said:

Keep on answering the questions!
What is the total power across the impedances?
How much power is across each of the impedances?

And what does this tell you given what Z_source and Z_load are?

roshan2004 said:

We are not going to do your homework for you. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the thread. And then work on your homework/coursework problem and post your detailed work here.l

You have been given ample hints by the other posters. You should be able to solve this problem now on your own.

Related to What should I do after finding the total impedance?

What is the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem?

The Maximum Power Transfer Theorem is a principle in electrical engineering that states that the maximum amount of power can be transferred from a power source to a load when the impedance of the load is equal to the complex conjugate of the impedance of the source.

What is the significance of the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem?

The Maximum Power Transfer Theorem is important because it allows for the efficient transfer of power from a source to a load. By ensuring that the impedance of the load is matched to the source, the maximum amount of power can be delivered without any power being lost due to mismatched impedances.

How is the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem applied in practical circuits?

The Maximum Power Transfer Theorem is applied in practical circuits by using matching networks or impedance matching circuits. These circuits are designed to match the impedance of the load to the source, thus maximizing the power transfer.

What are some limitations of the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem?

One limitation of the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem is that it assumes that both the source and the load are linear and passive. This means that the theorem may not apply to circuits with non-linear or active components. Additionally, the theorem only applies to DC circuits and may not be applicable in AC circuits.

How does the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem relate to Ohm's Law?

The Maximum Power Transfer Theorem is closely related to Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. The impedance of a circuit is a combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance, and the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem aims to match the impedance to maximize power transfer, just as Ohm's Law aims to find the optimal current for a given voltage and resistance.