What should i do ? Totally lost Academia or Industry

In summary, the individual is a recent BSc graduate in Aerospace Engineering with a desire to work as a design engineer and potentially become a project manager. They are facing a dilemma as they have not received any job offers after applying for several positions. They are unsure whether to gain work experience or pursue a PhD directly. The individual is also concerned about the financial and academic risks associated with a PhD. They are worried about making a decision that they will regret in the future. Additionally, they question the importance of a graduate degree and the university's name in their career. Finally, they are advised to pursue a PhD by their professors, but are hesitant due to fear of failure and impostor syndrome.
Redoctober
Hi ! I have recently graduated with a BSc in AEing. I published an article, won an international design competition, and graduated with a perfect CGPA + honors.

My original plan was to work for 3 years for experience then join an MSc program to specialize in the topic. Yet it has been around 6 month since i applied for more than 10 jobs and still haven't received any offer ! (The job range is very limited since i am of foreign citizenship to the companies i apply for. My country has no Aerospace industry sector)

I am now facing a dilemma. What should i do ?. Am i going in the right direction ?

Side1) I literally love every aspect in Aerospace Eng. (Structural, Aerodynamics, Control, Propulsion). I love designing stuff so much. Because of that, i want to be a design engineer in any of those fields with a potential of becoming a project manager where i interact with clients and manage the work flow.

Side2) All my professors told me that i should do a PhD directly after BSc (while some told me to do the MSc then PhD) because, to them, i look exceptionally talented to become a researcher, academia guy. I fear this option, however, since it might be not good financially and it feels very risky to me ! (What if i fail to make a great thesis ??!) I might get stuck and never get the PhD !

I am totally lost about what i should do since i don't want to take a wrong turn where i would regret it in the future !

Aside from that,

a) is it sufficient to get an MSc to become a design engineer ?
b) Does the university' name from where i get the Graduate degree matter ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Redoctober said:
(What if i fail to make a great thesis ??!)

What do you think you'll regret more 50 years from now?
1) Not trying the PhD because you were scared, and thus not knowing whether you'd be a brilliant researcher or not. Forever thinking about the opportunity you wanted so much, but that you were scared to pursue.
2) Trying everything to get the PhD, and then finding out it wasn't something for you.

To me the choice is clear. Your professors are not idiots by the way, if they say you have potential, then you do. Don't get impostor syndrome.

Likes PhotonSSBM and Dishsoap

Related to What should i do ? Totally lost Academia or Industry

1. What is the difference between academia and industry?

Academia refers to the world of research and education, typically found in universities and other academic institutions. Industry, on the other hand, refers to the commercial world, where research and development is aimed at creating products and services for consumers.

2. What are the advantages of working in academia?

Working in academia allows for more freedom and autonomy in research, as well as opportunities for teaching and mentoring students. It also offers a more stable and predictable career path.

3. What are the advantages of working in industry?

Industry offers higher salaries and potential for career advancement, as well as the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and collaborate with industry experts. There may also be more opportunities for hands-on, practical work in industry.

4. Can I transition from academia to industry or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to make the transition from academia to industry or vice versa. However, it may require acquiring new skills and adjusting to a different work culture. Networking and gaining relevant experience can also be helpful in making the transition.

5. Which career path is right for me?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on your individual interests, skills, and goals. It is important to research and consider both academia and industry to determine which path aligns best with your career aspirations.