What should I do with this bad book? (lots of typos)

In summary, the conversation discusses the poor printing quality of a physical chemistry book by Wiley and the possibility of returning it. The suggestion is made to complain to Wiley and try to get a refund, but it is acknowledged that this may not be successful. The conversation also mentions a previous experience with a book full of typos and the solution of getting a corrected version from the professor. The person decides to keep the book but not use it for studying. Finally, there is a recommendation for the book "Atkins' Physical Chemistry" for someone starting from scratch in understanding undergraduate physical chemistry.
Buffu
I brought a physical chemistry book by Wiley. Its printing is just awful. You can expect a printing mistakes in a fat (lack of vocabulary) book but this book is riddled with these.
Eg :- Virial 2nd coefficient is given as ##b-a\over RT## instead of ##b -{a \over RT}## and best part, is that they used this wrong formulation everywhere.

I think I have wasted my money and time on this nonsensical book. What should I do with this ? Should I return it or keep it (other than printing error there ain't any errors) ? What is the quality of Wiley's books ? Are they good ?

What are some other good physical chemistry books ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could complain to Wiley that they have a quality issue here and tell them what you found and that you'd like them to buy back the book.

However, I don't think you'll get your money back. They'll probably say "We have an errata sheet with those typos posted already but thanks for letting us know."

If you can get your money back do that.

Last edited:
I used a specialty book in graduate school which we were working thru and found all kinds of typos, we bought another copy and annotated it and sent it back to the original professor. He asked how many copies we needed and sent the requisite number when he made the corrections and got the new printing.

Likes jedishrfu
Dr Transport said:
I used a specialty book in graduate school which we were working thru and found all kinds of typos, we bought another copy and annotated it and sent it back to the original professor. He asked how many copies we needed and sent the requisite number when he made the corrections and got the new printing.
jedishrfu said:
You could complain to Wiley that they have a quality issue here and tell them what you found and that you'd like them to buy back the book.

However, I don't think you'll get your money back. They'll probably say "We have an errata sheet with those typos posted already but thanks for letting us know."

If you can get your money back do that.

As I am not getting my money I will keep it but not going to study from it because instead of correcting my mistakes I am correcting books mistake. :(.

Any recommendations on a well written physical chemistry book ?

Buffu said:
Any recommendations on a well written physical chemistry book ?
What level? What topics need to be covered?

DrClaude said:
What level? What topics need to be covered?
I have actually done my high school but I want to start from scratch.I am having a quite difficult time understanding undergraduate physical chemistry.

A good choice might be Atkins' Physical Chemistry. It is quite popular, so it should be easy to get a used copy cheap (and you definitely don't need to go for the most recent edition).

Likes Buffu

Related to What should I do with this bad book? (lots of typos)

1. What causes a book to have a lot of typos?

There can be multiple reasons for a book to have a lot of typos. Some common causes include human error during the writing or editing process, poor quality control, or the use of outdated technology for printing.

2. Should I still read a book with a lot of typos?

Ultimately, it is up to personal preference whether or not to read a book with a lot of typos. Some readers may find it distracting and choose to not finish the book, while others may be able to overlook the mistakes and focus on the content.

3. Can typos affect the message or accuracy of a book?

Yes, typos can affect the message and accuracy of a book. Depending on the severity and frequency of the typos, they may cause confusion or misinterpretation of the information presented in the book.

4. Is it worth trying to get a refund for a book with a lot of typos?

It depends on the return policy of the store where the book was purchased. If the book is unreadable or significantly impacts the reading experience, it may be worth contacting the store for a refund or exchange.

5. How can I prevent buying a book with a lot of typos?

One way to prevent buying a book with a lot of typos is to do some research before purchasing. Read reviews or ask for recommendations from friends or trusted sources. Additionally, it may be helpful to preview the book before buying, if possible.