What Should I Expect When Transferring from Community College to University?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student who is taking courses at a community college and is worried about transitioning to a university. They mention the courses the student is taking and suggest comparing the texts being used at the university to the ones at the community college. They also mention the teaching methods and resources used at the university. The person speaking has experience with the courses at the university and recommends utilizing resources such as the Physics Education Technology simulations and tutorials.
rockman200
Community college ---> university

Hello, I'm a high school student taking 3 courses at a community college ( computer science II, calc physics and calc III).I'm going to university of colorado at boulder next year and I'm slightly worried that I will be under prepared for the courses. What should I expect from transfering from a community college to a university?

Physics news on Phys.org

That might depend on which courses you're planning to take there.

I'm assuming here that by calc physics you mean calculus physics I (mechanics). Note that most students struggle with calculus-based physics II (electricity and magnetism) regardless of where they took their prior calculus physics I course. The fact that you've had calculus III (w/ multi-variable calculus) prior to the course should help. Again, as jtbell mentions, having an idea of the courses you are planning to take will help us suggest some texts to look at and strategies to success... and having info about your course of study (major) would help even more. In lieu of that... If I were you I'd try to compare what texts are being used in the courses at CU, and how they compare to the text you are using at the community college you are currently attending.

Boulder is wonderful... I did my phd work there. Even though I wasn't a teaching assistant, I know a bit about how many of the intro undergraduate physics courses are organized. The lecture sections involve a lot of Erik Mazur's Peer Instruction methods ("clicker questions")... often including concepts that can be gleaned from the Physics Education Technology (PhET) simulations. Many of the recitation sections involve doing activities from "Tutorials in Introductory Physics" out of the University of Washington Physics Education research group.

Related to What Should I Expect When Transferring from Community College to University?

1. What is the difference between a community college and a university?

The main difference between a community college and a university is the type of degrees offered. Community colleges typically offer associate degrees and certificates, while universities offer bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Community colleges also tend to have smaller class sizes and lower tuition costs compared to universities.

2. Can I transfer from a community college to a university?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a community college to a university. However, the transfer process and requirements vary between institutions. It is important to research and plan ahead to ensure a smooth transfer.

3. Do community college credits transfer to a university?

In most cases, credits from a community college will transfer to a university. However, the transferability of credits depends on the specific courses and the university's transfer policies. It is best to consult with an academic advisor at both the community college and university to determine transferability.

4. Are community colleges easier than universities?

Community colleges and universities have different academic structures and expectations, so it is difficult to say if one is easier than the other. Community colleges may have smaller class sizes and more individualized attention, while universities may have more rigorous coursework and research opportunities.

5. Is it better to start at a community college before transferring to a university?

Starting at a community college before transferring to a university can be a good option for some students. It can provide a more affordable way to complete general education requirements and explore different academic interests before committing to a specific major. However, it may not be the best choice for students who already know what they want to study or who are seeking a more traditional university experience.