What should I teach myself this summer?

• Thread starter Ju00611
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, a great way to spend your summer would be to explore the fascinating world of physics, specifically focusing on the workings of stars and the creation of our universe. With only a high school physics and calculus background, you can start by researching how stars work and how they create everything around us, including ourselves. This can lead to learning about other astronomical phenomena such as supernovas, black holes, and neutron stars. Additionally, you can delve into the solar system and even learn about the Voyager probes and their journey beyond our solar system. This journey of discovery will surely keep you entertained and fascinated all summer long.
Ju00611
I just graduated high school and don't have a job this summer. Rather than sitting around bored all day, what are the most interesting physics topic(s) i could learn online (keeping in mind I've only taken high school physics and calculus)? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ju00611 said:
I just graduated high school and don't have a job this summer. Rather than sitting around bored all day, what are the most interesting physics topic(s) i could learn online (keeping in mind I've only taken high school physics and calculus)? Thanks!

I'm biased... about 20 years ago someone signed off a message with "forget the differences; we're all star-dust". That quote started me on a road (still being traveled) that constantly blows my mind.

Start with googling "how does a star work". From there on you'll start down a path that how everything around you (including you) was made in the heart of a star. And not just any old star otherwise it would all still be there - one that went supernova. And that will lead of to other nova's and black holes, neutron stars and some mind bending strangeness. And whilst you're on that path you'll probably ask - how do you know this? We can't touch the stars, we can't go get a tape measure and "really know" how far they are away? And how we know and why we can be sure we are right is another summer of entertainment in itself! And if you get board with the stars you can come down to the solar system. Venus through Uranus? (or Pluto if you're old school) Nah! That's just the nut in the centre of the cherry - google where Voyager 1 and 2 are and how V1 has only just left the solar system (does that have an end? you bet it does). Summer filled methinks :-)

Related to What should I teach myself this summer?

1. What are some new skills or subjects I can teach myself this summer?

There are endless possibilities for skills and subjects you can teach yourself this summer. Some popular options include coding, a new language, a musical instrument, cooking or baking, or a new sport or fitness activity.

2. How can I determine which skill or subject to focus on?

Consider your interests and goals, as well as the resources and opportunities available to you. It may also be helpful to research in-demand skills and industries, or to ask for recommendations from friends, family, or mentors.

3. What resources can I use to teach myself?

There are many resources available for self-teaching, including online tutorials and courses, books, instructional videos, and more. You can also join online communities or find local groups or classes for support and guidance.

4. How much time should I dedicate to teaching myself this summer?

This will depend on your personal schedule and goals. It may be helpful to set specific goals and create a schedule or plan for your self-teaching. Remember to also allow yourself breaks and time for rest and relaxation.

5. What are the benefits of teaching myself new skills or subjects?

There are many benefits to self-teaching, including personal growth, improved problem-solving and critical thinking skills, increased confidence and self-sufficiency, and potential career advancement or new opportunities. Additionally, learning new things can be fun and rewarding!