What Should You Do If a Graduate Program Isn't Responding to Your Emails?

In summary, the individual is a senior deciding between graduate schools and has heard back from all programs except one. They have sent two emails to this program but have not received a response. They are wondering what the protocol is for contacting a graduate program and if they should continue sending emails or try calling. Another person suggests giving them a phone call and shares their experience of having to call multiple schools for an admission decision. They also mention a website where people can post their admissions decisions for others to see, which can give an idea of whether or not the department has made any decisions.
blerg
I am a senior deciding between graduate schools right now. I have heard back from all programs but one (I know this program has sent out both acceptances and rejections). I have sent this program two emails, one two weeks ago and another last week, but I have yet to hear a response. I was wondering what protocol is when trying to contact a graduate program. Should I keep sending emails? Should I try to call them? Or will this just annoy them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely give them a phone call.

A phone call is fine.

Call them and ask. For all the money we pay to apply to grad school, the least they can do is send an email when they make a decision - but I had to call at least 3 schools that never did.

There's a nice little website someone posted a few weeks ago where people can post their admissions decisions for people to see.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?

This can give you an indicator about whether or not the departments have said anything to anyone.

FAQ: What Should You Do If a Graduate Program Isn't Responding to Your Emails?

1. What is an unresponsive graduate program?

An unresponsive graduate program is a program that does not provide timely or effective communication to its students, faculty, or staff. This can include delayed responses to inquiries, lack of support or resources, and failure to address concerns or complaints.

2. What are some signs of an unresponsive graduate program?

Some signs of an unresponsive graduate program include difficulty in getting a hold of advisors or professors, lack of updates or feedback on assignments or progress, and a general lack of support or resources for students.

3. How can an unresponsive graduate program impact students?

An unresponsive graduate program can negatively impact students by causing frustration and stress, hindering their academic progress, and affecting their overall satisfaction with the program. It may also lead to a lack of motivation and a decline in the quality of work produced.

4. What steps can students take if they are in an unresponsive graduate program?

If students are in an unresponsive graduate program, they can first try to address their concerns with their advisor or program director. If this does not lead to a resolution, they can reach out to higher authorities such as the department chair or dean. They can also seek support from other faculty members, student services, or student organizations.

5. How can graduate programs improve their responsiveness?

Graduate programs can improve their responsiveness by establishing clear and timely communication channels, providing adequate resources and support for students, and addressing concerns and feedback in a timely manner. Regular check-ins with students and opportunities for open dialogue can also help improve responsiveness.