What size channel to use to support AC compressor

In summary, you are considering using 4" x 1" x 1/4" aluminum channels to support a 175-pound air conditioner on a 24" deep walkway. The channels will be fastened to the walkway with through bolts, and the concrete walkway will also be reinforced. If the walkway is also made out of prestressed planks, avoid damaging the prestressing wires.
hipfisher
I need to replace an air conditioner compressor unit that sits on the 2nd floor walk way on my stilt home in the Florida Keys. The walk way is 24" deep and the original AC unit fit that dimension, however, the new unit is 31" square. When I install the new unit I would like to leave a 18" space between the unit and wall to provide space to walk by. The plan is to mount a pair of aluminum channels on the deck extending out 48". The replacement AC is no greater than 175 pounds. There will be 24" of the AC unit supported by the channel and 7" supported by the reinforced concrete walk around.
Question: What size channel should I use? My AC contractor is proposing 4" x 1" x 1/4" thick aluminum channel. That seems light to me. I am used to over sizing materials to afford me greater piece of mind. Also what fastener technology would be best to secure the channel to the deck.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi hipfisher. A lot of people post things like this, but it's difficult to help you without a picture or drawing. Can you provide something that shows what your AC support looks like? The strength of the support is highly dependent on the geometry.

7"+18" makes 25", not 24"

Who measured this, you or your contractor?
Why do the aluminium sections need to extend out twice the overhanging width of the compressor? Are you ever going to push the compresor or anything out that far for servicing?

Why aluminium? won't this corrode through in no time in the marine atmosphere? If you are going to use stainless steel fixings you could have a chemical action problem which will also attack the aluminium.

Whatever you choose, 7" bearing for the cantilever sounds inadequate. Could you not undersling the sections?

As to fixings I always advise against chemical anchors (and contractors always propose them) in this type of situation as they are not failsafe and likely to deteriorate rapidly in the marine atmosphere.

Expansion anchors are safer, but still not failsafe - I prefer through bolting which is.

Then there is the issue of the concrete in the walkway itself.
If it is just reinforced then everything will be fine for drilling, but if it is fashioned form prestressed planks then you must avoid damaging the prestressing wires whne drilling or there could be a catastrphic failure. ( they should be in the bottom half of the plank like in a house lintel)

Goest;

Thanks for the reply. The walkway support is 24" wide reinforced concrete 6" thick.

Studiot;

Thank you also. Your are correct my math stinks! The space between the wall and AC unit would indeed be 17".

Are there not multiple aluminum allows which provide adequate protection in a marine environment? 6061 comes to mind. I have several pieces of aluminum trim on my 17 year old boat held in place with stainless hardware showing no significant signs of corrosion.

I'm confused as to why you feel there is only 7" of cantilever, 24" of the channel will be bolted to the walkway with 24" overhanging. If I were to through bolt, which I concur would be a superior attachment, I probably could not drill any closer than 3" to 4" from the wall. So wouldn't the cantilever be at least 20" from this attachment point (I checked my math on that one).

The 7 inches is under the part of AC unit that is on the walkway.
If you extend the supports beyond that, will they not form a serious trip hazard on the open part of the walkway?
The cantilever is the 24" (?48") part that sticks out.

Yes the materials problems can be overcome, just make sure your contractor knows how!

Studiot,

The original point of my question concerns the size of the channel needed to support the proposed load under the stated conditions. Is 4" x 1" x 1/4" channel adequate?
Your concerns about the trip hazard poised are noted. The walkway is only used infrequently for lowering awnings, washing windows or other maintenance issues and there is a safety railing.

hipfisher: I think we did not know why you said, in post 1, the cantilever extends out from the walkway 1219.2 mm, which is twice as far as the air conditioning unit extends out. Nonetheless, we now see from post 4, your cantilevers extend out from the walkway 609.6 mm.

By the way, you did not state the channel cross section orientation. There are two ways to orient the channel cross section: Does your channel web lie in a vertical plane, or a horizontal plane?

Last edited:
You only talk about a single channel.

I can't imagine you only using one and balancing the unit on it as it would be very unstable and soon blow off in the wind.

So I am going to assume 2 channels.

In order to make a practical job I would not go for 4 x 1 channel I would go for 4 x 2.
I am saying this because I assume that they will be bolted to the underside of the AC unit offsite. Presumably you will mount the channel with the 4" dimension vertical and the 2" flanges horizontal - by far its strongest orientation (by a factor of about 8 to 1 over the other way). This will allow easy access to the bottom flange to bolt to the deck.

These practical reasons are why I suggest 2 off 4 x 2 channels. With a 4 x 1 any misalignment becomes critical.

As regards to strength there is no problem there - the max stress will be under 500 psi giving a good safety margin with any form of aluminium alloy. I estimate the deflection as about 0.025" with two channels.

There are two cantilevers. This is stated in post 1.

There are two cantilevers. This is stated in post 1.

Looking again I see it. Thanks

Related to What size channel to use to support AC compressor

1. What is the importance of selecting the right size channel for an AC compressor?

Choosing the right size channel is crucial for the proper functioning of an AC compressor. The channel size directly affects the amount of airflow that is being pulled into the compressor, which in turn affects its cooling capacity. If the channel size is too small, the compressor will have to work harder to pull in air, leading to increased energy consumption and potential damage to the compressor. On the other hand, if the channel is too large, it can cause uneven cooling and potential freezing of the system.

2. How do I determine the correct size channel for my AC compressor?

The size of the channel needed for your AC compressor depends on the size and capacity of the compressor itself. You can refer to the manufacturer's specifications to determine the recommended channel size for your particular compressor model. It is important to note that using a channel that is too small or too large can cause problems, so it is best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

3. Can I use a larger channel for my AC compressor to increase its cooling capacity?

It is not recommended to use a larger channel than what is specified for your AC compressor. While it may seem like it would increase the cooling capacity, it can actually have the opposite effect. A larger channel can cause the compressor to work harder, leading to increased energy consumption and potential damage to the compressor. It is best to stick to the recommended channel size for your specific compressor model.

4. How does the length of the channel affect the performance of the AC compressor?

The length of the channel can affect the performance of the AC compressor in terms of its cooling capacity. A longer channel can increase the amount of time it takes for air to reach the compressor, which can lead to decreased cooling efficiency. Additionally, a longer channel can also cause increased pressure drop, meaning the compressor has to work harder to pull in air. This can result in increased energy consumption and potential damage to the compressor.

5. Can I use a different size channel for my AC compressor if it is not available in the recommended size?

It is not recommended to use a different size channel than what is specified for your AC compressor. Using a channel that is too small or too large can cause problems with the compressor's performance and potentially lead to damage. If the recommended size channel is not available, consult with a professional to determine the best alternative option for your specific compressor model.

Back