What specific field in physics would best fit me? programs?

In summary, as a sophomore double majoring in Physics and Math, with a 4.0 GPA, you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. and a postdoc position in theoretical physics. You dislike working with solids, circuits, and anything related to chemistry or biology, but enjoy working with quantum mechanics, special relativity, and electromagnetic field theory. You have had experience as an undergraduate teaching assistant and as a control room operator for a particle accelerator, and are considering joining the Society of Physics Students at Purdue. You are seeking guidance on which fields of physics to focus on and which graduate programs would align with your interests. It is recommended that you read resources on becoming a theoretical physicist and keep an open mind in your studies.
Joshua L
Hello, I am currently a sophomore double majoring in Physics and Math at Purdue University. I have a 4.0 overall GPA and would love to earn a Ph.D. and probably a postdoc position in the future. But what should I concentrate in? To which graduate program should I set my eyes on? Here are some facts about me:

- I have taken only five physics course with the most recent being "Modern Physics" (a big conglomeration of different bits of theory from different fields that barely scratches each iceberg, i.e. my least favorite class. I like courses with more focus. I will expand this point further).
- I LOVE theory. Theoretical physics all the way. I liked my experiment class; it was fun and all. But I do very much want to be a theorist.
- I'm not afraid of math. I will go as far to say I love math as a spouse, but I love physics more. (All the math for me please, that's applicable in the physics I would want to do)
- I love working with quantum mechanics and special relativity. I'm looking forward to working with general relativity and elementary particle physics in the near future, for I am not up to that speed yet.
- I HATE (respectfully dislike) working with solids, band theory, thermodynamics, anything that reminds me of chemistry or biology. I can be interested in Fermi-Dirac statistics and stuff like that because its more fundamental. Entropy is alright.
- I don't like working with circuits or similar stuff like that, but I enjoy working with electromagnetic field theory, (Maxwell's equations).
- I want to work in academia.
- Nevertheless, I have never received lower than an A+ on any physics course, so its not like I have trouble (It is worthy to note in the near future, I will probably find myself in rather tough courses, so this fact may change)
- Last semester I worked two jobs. One was as an Undergraduate Teaching assistant for the Introductory mechanics course and the other was a Control Room Operator for the department's underground particle accelerator (not as exciting as it may sound). For this Spring semester, I may have the opportunity of working with a professor and his research. All that he would tell about the research is that its patent and fundamental.
- And I like chess.

Knowing these facts about me, what fields of physics should I set my eyes toward? Should I join my local Society of Physics Students chapter at Purdue even though it's lacking in activity and vigor? What physics journals should I consider reading and subscribe to? What graduate universities/programs would fit best with my interests?

I know that my post is quite long and forgive me for it being so, but I realize that this website is the best place to ask questions and receive respectable answers. Thanks for reading this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion is that you read Prof Gerard T'Hooft website on becoming a theoretical physicist to see what you need to do and when.

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/

You can also read ZapperZ's excellent article on becoming a physicist that can give you a timeline of what to expect.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist.240792/

Lastly, I would suggest you reconsider your opinions on all those subjects that you deemed boring as they may come to your rescue later in life. Imagine if Einstein thought Newtonian physics was boring...

Keep an open mind and in your studies look for where theories breakdown because that's where interesting things happen.

FAQ: What specific field in physics would best fit me? programs?

1. What are the different fields of physics?

The main fields of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. However, there are also many subfields within these main categories.

2. How do I decide which field of physics is right for me?

The best way to decide is to research and explore each field to see which one interests you the most. You can also talk to professors or professionals in each field to get a better understanding of the work and opportunities available.

3. What skills are needed for different fields of physics?

Different fields of physics require different skills. For example, classical mechanics may require strong mathematical skills, while experimental physics may require good laboratory skills. It is important to consider your strengths and interests when choosing a field.

4. Are there any specific programs or courses that are recommended for certain fields of physics?

Yes, there are specific programs and courses that are tailored for different fields of physics. For example, if you are interested in quantum mechanics, you may want to take courses in quantum theory, atomic and molecular physics, and quantum computing.

5. Can I specialize in more than one field of physics?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in more than one field of physics. Many physicists have expertise in multiple fields and often collaborate with others in different fields to solve complex problems. However, it is important to focus on one field during your studies and then expand your knowledge and skills later on.