What Speed Should a Swimmer Have to Cross a River Directly?

• Thread starter frangieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: D2*sin(theta) , where D1 and D2 are distances and Vs is the speed of the swimmer relative to the water.In summary, to swim directly from A to B, the swimmer should have a relative speed of 4.04 km/hour with respect to the water, taking into account the distance and current velocity as well as the angle of the swimmer's velocity relative to the water.
frangieh

Homework Statement

A swimmer wants to cross a river, from point A to point B, as shown in the figure. The distance d_1 (from A to C) is 200 m, the distance d_2 (from C to B) is 150 m and the speed v_r of the current in the river is 5 {km/hour}. Suppose that the swimmer's velocity relative to the water makes an angle of \theta = 45\;{degrees} with the line from A to C, as indicated in the figure.

To swim directly from A to B, what speed u_s, relative to the water, should the swimmer have?

Attachments

• M2K_rm_2_v1_001.jpg
    M2K_rm_2_v1_001.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org
frangieh said:

Homework Statement

A swimmer wants to cross a river, from point A to point B, as shown in the figure. The distance d_1 (from A to C) is 200 m, the distance d_2 (from C to B) is 150 m and the speed v_r of the current in the river is 5 {km/hour}. Suppose that the swimmer's velocity relative to the water makes an angle of \theta = 45\;{degrees} with the line from A to C, as indicated in the figure.

To swim directly from A to B, what speed u_s, relative to the water, should the swimmer have?

Homework Statement

This is a vector problem. Do a vector diagram showing the velocity vector for the swimmer relative to water and the velocity vector for the water relative to land. How is the velocity vector of the swimmer relative to land related to these two vectors?

AM

A swimmer wants to cross a river, from point A to point B, as shown in the figure. The distance d_1 (from A to C) is 200 m, the distance d_2 (from C to B) is 150 m, and the speed v_r of the current in the river is 5 {km/hour}. Suppose that the swimmer's velocity relative to the water makes an angle of \theta = 45 degrees} with the line from A to C,

o swim directly from A to B, what speed u_s, relative to the water, should the swimmer have?

Vs =4.04 km/hour

because Vs =D1*vr(d1*sin(theta)+ d2*cos(theta))

Related to What Speed Should a Swimmer Have to Cross a River Directly?

What does "Help if Anybody has the time" mean?

"Help if Anybody has the time" is a phrase commonly used to ask for assistance or support from anyone who may have the availability to help at that moment.

Who typically uses the phrase "Help if Anybody has the time"?

This phrase is often used by individuals who are seeking help with a task or project, but do not have a specific person in mind to ask for help from.

Is it polite to use the phrase "Help if Anybody has the time"?

Yes, using this phrase is considered polite as it acknowledges that the person you are asking may be busy and may not be able to assist you at that moment.

What are some alternatives to using the phrase "Help if Anybody has the time"?

Other ways of asking for help include "Could someone lend a hand?", "Can anyone give me a hand?", or "Is anyone available to help?"

How can I respond to someone who asks "Help if Anybody has the time"?

If you are able to help, you can respond by saying "Sure, I can help" or "I have some time, what do you need help with?". If you are unable to help, you can politely decline by saying "I'm sorry, I'm busy at the moment" or "I wish I could, but I have other obligations right now".