What Speed Would an N2 Molecule Have with Photon Energy of Various Wavelengths?

In summary, the problem asks to find the speed of a gas molecule with the same energy as a photon with different wavelengths of IR, visible, UV, and X-ray radiation. The equation Vrms = (3kT/m)^(1/2) is given, but it is unclear if it needs to be used. The attempted solution suggests using the equation E=hc/lambda to find the energy of the gas molecule, then using KE = 1/2mv^2 to solve for velocity. However, it is also suggested to use the Debroglie equation, lambda = h/mv, to find the wavelength. There is uncertainty about the temperature of N2 and how to use the given wavelengths in the problem.
solsek
1. Homework Statement

Consider a gas-phase N2 molecule. It's RMS speed is given by

Vrms = (3kT/m)^(1/2)

What speed would the gas molecule have if it had the same energy as a photon of the following wavelengths of IR, visible, UV and X-Ray electromagnetic radiation?

lambda = 1.000E4nm, 500nm, 100nm, 0.10nm

2. Homework Equations

E=hc, E=hc/lambda E = (mv^2)/2 , not sure if we should use lambda = h / p (momentum)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I don't know how to use the Vrms equation that is given in the problem. I am not sure if we need to use it at all (Btw, this in the first problem set of my pchem class so it should be pretty easy, I am just not sure if I am doing it right).

E = hc/lambda, using this equation we can find the energy of the gas molecule if it had the wavelength given in the problem.

Once we find the energy E we can use KE = 1/2mv^2 to some for v.

I am not sure if we are supposed to use this method or use the Debroglie equation where lambda = h / mv and solve for velocity that way.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the temperature of N2?
Use Debroglie formula to find wavelength.

rl.bhat said:
What is the temperature of N2?
Use Debroglie formula to find wavelength.

We aren't given a temperature of N2. We don't know velocity, so I don't see how we can use debroglie forumla to solve for wavelength. Wavelength is given in the problem, should it be converted to a different wavelength?

Use wavelengths in the problem.

FAQ: What Speed Would an N2 Molecule Have with Photon Energy of Various Wavelengths?

What is the speed of a molecule?

The speed of a molecule refers to the average velocity at which it moves in a given direction. It can be measured in units of meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How is the speed of a molecule determined?

The speed of a molecule is determined by its mass and temperature. As temperature increases, the average speed of a molecule also increases due to the increase in kinetic energy. However, the exact speed of a molecule cannot be determined as it is constantly changing due to collisions with other molecules.

What is the relationship between the speed of a molecule and its temperature?

There is a direct relationship between the speed of a molecule and its temperature. As the temperature increases, the average speed of a molecule also increases. This is because higher temperatures result in higher kinetic energy, causing the molecules to move faster.

Can the speed of a molecule change?

Yes, the speed of a molecule can change due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and collisions with other molecules. In general, an increase in temperature or decrease in pressure will result in an increase in the speed of a molecule.

Why is the speed of a molecule important in chemistry?

The speed of a molecule is important in chemistry because it affects various chemical reactions and processes. For example, in a chemical reaction, faster-moving molecules are more likely to collide and react with each other, leading to a faster reaction rate. Additionally, the speed of a molecule also affects its diffusion and transport through different mediums, which is important in many chemical and biological processes.

Back