What Steps Are Involved in Solving Complex Inverse Laplace Transforms?

In summary: HJpY3RpbmcgSSBhbSBzdHJ1bmdpbmcgdG8gZmluZCBHKHRpKSwgdGhlIGludmVyc2UgTGFwbGFjZSB0b3JyZW50IG9mIHRoZSBmaW5hbCBjb250ZW50IG9mIHRoZSBmaXJzdCBmaXJzdCBhcyBhIExhcGFjZSB0cmFuc2Zvcm1zLiBUb21vcnJvdyBzaG91bGQgYmUgaW4gdGVybXMgb2YgY
guava91011

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find the Inverse Laplace transform of the following function:

F(s) = (1+ 4e(-s) - 5e(-3s)) / s(s2 + 11s + 55), where F(s) is a Laplace transform

Solution should be in terms of complex exponentials and unit step functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After attempting I got a solution in terms of complex co-efficients, complex exponential functions and heaviside step functions. A part of my solution is:

(1/55) - (3 - i*sqrt(11))/330*exp(*-0.5(11 - 3i*sqrt(11))*t) - ...
-(2(3 - i*sqrt(11))/165)*exp(0.5(11 + 3i*sqrt(11))*(1-t))*u(t-1)...

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have an idea?

guava91011 said:

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find the Inverse Laplace transform of the following function:

F(s) = (1+ 4e(-s) - 5e(-3s)) / s(s2 + 11s + 55), where F(s) is a Laplace transform

Solution should be in terms of complex exponentials and unit step functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After attempting I got a solution in terms of complex co-efficients, complex exponential functions and heaviside step functions. A part of my solution is:

(1/55) - (3 - i*sqrt(11))/330*exp(*-0.5(11 - 3i*sqrt(11))*t) - ...
-(2(3 - i*sqrt(11))/165)*exp(0.5(11 + 3i*sqrt(11))*(1-t))*u(t-1)...

Can you find G(t), the inverse Laplace of g(s) = 1/D(s), where D(s) = s*(s^2 + 11s + 55)? Do you know how to find the inverse Laplace transform of h(s) = exp(-as)/g(s) in terms of the function G(.)? (Hint: think standard properties of Laplace transforms; use Google if needed.)

RGV

Last edited:

Related to What Steps Are Involved in Solving Complex Inverse Laplace Transforms?

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is the reverse process of taking a Laplace transform.

2. Why do we need inverse Laplace transforms?

Inverse Laplace transforms are needed because they provide a way to solve differential equations, which are commonly used to model real-world systems in science and engineering. It allows us to find the original function that describes the behavior of a system.

3. How do you perform an inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is typically performed by using tables of Laplace transforms or by using algebraic manipulation and integration techniques. It involves finding the inverse of a complex function and converting it back to the time domain.

4. What are the properties of inverse Laplace transforms?

The properties of inverse Laplace transforms include linearity, time-shifting, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties are similar to those of regular algebraic functions and allow for easier manipulation and solving of differential equations.

5. What are some applications of inverse Laplace transforms?

Inverse Laplace transforms have various applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used in the analysis and design of control systems, electronic circuits, and signal processing. They also have applications in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.