What Steps Can I Take to Fix a Disk Error on Windows 7?

In summary, the computer says "A disk error occurred" and I tried to insert a system recovery disk into the computer and I waited for hours but nothing worked. The computer screen is black after I press "ctrl + alt +delete" even though the text suggested that. I can't access my files, I can't go on the internet and I can't go to desktop view. The computer is also not recognizing my hard drive. I have tried downloading a Windows 7 Recovery Environment CD but it didn't work. I tried to reboot the computer but it always returns to the "press ctrl + alt + delete" screen. I've also tried to fix the problem by running a chkdsk on my hard drive but it
icecubebeast
I have a problem. Whenever I turn on my other computer it says: "A disk error occurred" and I tried to insert a system recovery disk into the computer and I waited for hours but nothing worked. The computer screen is black after I press "ctrl + alt + delete" even though the text suggested that. I can't access my files, I can't go on the internet and I can't go to desktop view.

How can I fix my computer without having to pay money?

Computer science news on Phys.org
icecubebeast said:
[ ... ] How can I fix my computer without having to pay money?
Install a FOSS OS Linux. Eschew Windoze.

Last edited:
Doug Huffman said:
Install a FOSS OS Linux.

That will not help him access his files.

There are some Linux distributions prepared to start from CD and to help in such situations. Doesn't mean they will work, but it can be worth trying.

Google "rescue CD".

Last edited:
icecubebeast said:
I have a problem. Whenever I turn on my other computer it says: "A disk error occurred" and I tried to insert a system recovery disk into the computer and I waited for hours but nothing worked. The computer screen is black after I press "ctrl + alt + delete" even though the text suggested that. I can't access my files, I can't go on the internet and I can't go to desktop view.

How can I fix my computer without having to pay money?
Something has gotten corrupted on your hard disk. It could just be a problem with the Master Boot Record; it could be something more serious.

You have to ask yourself if the files on this drive are worth saving, if you don't want to spend any money to fix it. I don't think you can diagnose or repair this problem without access to a functioning computer, which you could use to scan the corrupt drive. If you know someone who has a Windows Rescue CD prepared, you might be able to scan and troubleshoot the bad drive.

http://lifehacker.com/5984707/five-best-system-rescue-discs

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so how would you reboot a laptop that always returns to "press ctrl + alt + delete" even though I do as the computer screen tells me to do?

I've already made a windows 7 reboot CD. I don't know how to reboot the laptop in this case.

icecubebeast said:
Ok, so how would you reboot a laptop that always returns to "press ctrl + alt + delete" even though I do as the computer screen tells me to do?

I've already made a windows 7 reboot CD. I don't know how to reboot the laptop in this case.

Make sure your laptop's BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive. Then you should be able to use your Windows 7 reboot CD.

Here's basically what you need to do as a starting step.
  • Boot the computer using installation media (Windows Operating system disk)
  • Attempt to repair the issues in the preinstallation environment
First off, if you do not have a windows 7 installation disk, you can download it from microsoft.
Download the correct version for your system and burn it onto a DVD using another computer.

To boot from the DVD drive you have to instruct your system to load from the DVD instead of the hard disk. Usually this is done by hitting a key on the BIOS loading screen. Here's an example, if this was your computer, you'd hit the ESC key. But depending on your computer, can be be F9, F10, F11, F12, whatever. The BIOS screen should tell you what key stroke changes the order. He's an image from a Virtual Machine. It says ESC for Boot menu. You need the boot menu.
sshot117.png

When you have it, select the DVD drive to boot from.Here's an example from bleeping computers that shows you how to get to the command prompt. This is where you need to be to run a tool that may fix your problem.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

When you get to the command prompt, type the following command
chkdsk c: /r

This tool will check your drive for errors. If it's just a few bad sectors preventing your system from loading or if some pointers are broken, then it will fix it. This tool does take some time to finish so check back every 10-15 mins.

Once it's done, reboot the computer and cross your fingers.

FAQ: What Steps Can I Take to Fix a Disk Error on Windows 7?

1. What is the "A Serious Windows 7 Problem"?

The "A Serious Windows 7 Problem" is a technical issue that affects computers running the Windows 7 operating system. It can cause various system errors, crashes, and malfunctions, making it difficult to use the computer.

2. How does this problem occur?

The exact cause of the "A Serious Windows 7 Problem" is still unknown. However, it is believed to be related to corrupted system files, outdated drivers, or conflicts with other software on the computer.

3. Can this problem be fixed?

Yes, the "A Serious Windows 7 Problem" can be fixed. There are various troubleshooting steps that can be taken, such as running system scans, updating drivers, and repairing corrupted files. In some cases, a clean installation of Windows 7 may be necessary.

4. Are there any preventative measures to avoid this problem?

To prevent the "A Serious Windows 7 Problem", it is important to regularly update the operating system and drivers, as well as run antivirus scans to ensure the computer is free from malware. Additionally, avoiding downloading suspicious files or programs can also help prevent this issue.

5. Is this problem exclusive to Windows 7?

While the "A Serious Windows 7 Problem" is primarily reported on computers running Windows 7, it is possible for similar issues to occur on other operating systems. It is important to regularly update all software and perform maintenance tasks on any computer to avoid potential problems.

Back