What Sub-Structure Does a 369.3 Mass Indicate in Cholesterol LCMS Analysis?

• Thread starter cdoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assembly
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment to determine the structure of a mass observed in an LCMS result. The molecular mass of cholesterol is mentioned, along with confusion on how to add things on to the structure. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the mass +1 shown in the LCMS result is due to a broken bond with water.
cdoss

Homework Statement

Our assignment was to determine the structure, or sub-structure of our mass observed in the LCMS result. The number we got was 369.3. I am not really sure what to do with this at all. She gave us the structure of cholesterol, but I'm not sure where to add things on...

Physics news on Phys.org
cdoss said:

Homework Statement

Our assignment was to determine the structure, or sub-structure of our mass observed in the LCMS result. The number we got was 369.3. I am not really sure what to do with this at all. She gave us the structure of cholesterol, but I'm not sure where to add things on...

Add things on? Molecular mass of cholesterol is ... what?

387.3. I think I actually understand it now. because the LCMS will show the mass +1 and then the bond with water was broken, which caused the weight to be 18 less than what we expected.?

cdoss said:
387.3. I think I actually understand it now. because the LCMS will show the mass +1 and then the bond with water was broken, which caused the weight to be 18 less than what we expected.?

yeah,,, agree,,,!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest taking a systematic approach to interpreting the LCMS result. Firstly, it is important to understand the principles of LCMS and how it works to identify and quantify compounds in a sample. This will help in understanding how the mass of 369.3 was obtained and what it represents.

Next, it would be helpful to review the structure of cholesterol and its known sub-structures. This will provide a starting point for interpreting the mass of 369.3 and identifying any potential sub-structures that could be present in the sample.

One approach could be to use a software program or database that can generate theoretical mass values for different sub-structures of cholesterol. By comparing these theoretical masses with the observed mass of 369.3, it may be possible to identify which sub-structures are present in the sample.

Another approach could be to perform fragmentation studies using tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) to break down the sample into smaller fragments and identify their masses. This can provide more specific information about the sub-structures present in the sample.

In summary, a combination of understanding LCMS principles, reviewing the structure of cholesterol, and utilizing analytical tools such as software programs or MS/MS can aid in determining the sub-structure of the observed mass of 369.3 in the LCMS result. It is important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to ensure accurate identification of the sub-structure.

Related to What Sub-Structure Does a 369.3 Mass Indicate in Cholesterol LCMS Analysis?

1. What is LCMS assembly of cholesterol?

LCMS assembly of cholesterol is a scientific technique used to analyze and characterize the molecular components of cholesterol. It involves the use of liquid chromatography (LC) and mass spectrometry (MS) to separate and identify the different forms of cholesterol in a sample.

2. How does LCMS assembly of cholesterol work?

First, the sample is separated using liquid chromatography, which separates the different components of cholesterol based on their chemical properties. The separated molecules then enter the mass spectrometer, where they are ionized and sorted by their mass-to-charge ratio. The resulting data is used to identify and quantify the different forms of cholesterol present in the sample.

3. What are the benefits of using LCMS assembly of cholesterol?

LCMS assembly of cholesterol allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of cholesterol compared to traditional methods. It can detect a wider range of cholesterol forms and is more sensitive, allowing for the detection of smaller amounts of cholesterol in a sample. It is also a faster and more efficient process.

4. What types of samples can be analyzed using LCMS assembly of cholesterol?

LCMS assembly of cholesterol can be used to analyze various biological samples, including blood, tissue, and cell cultures. It can also be used to analyze food samples, such as meat, dairy, and plant-based products.

5. What can LCMS assembly of cholesterol tell us about a sample?

This technique can provide information about the composition and quantity of different forms of cholesterol in a sample. It can also identify specific cholesterol molecules and their associated functions, such as their role in lipid metabolism or their potential as biomarkers for certain diseases.