What temperature does Cl2 need to escape Earth?

In summary, Cl2 molecules have sufficient velocity to escape the Earth's gravitational pull at a temperature of 11.2 kilometers per second.
Sherman91

Homework Statement

At what temperature will Cl2 molecules have sufficient velocity to escape the Earth’s gravitational pull? The escape velocity from the Earth is 25,000 mph. (Note: Cl2 is diatomic, so you’ll need to double the atomic weight shown on the periodic table.)
Cl=35.5g/mol v=11.2km/s

Homework Equations

v=√3kT/m

The Attempt at a Solution

Cl=35.5g/mol Cl2≈71g/mol = 0.071kg/mol

.071kg/mol/6.02x10^23=1.18x10^-25

11.2km/s=√3(1.38x10^-23)T/(1.18x10^-25)

This is where I am stuck. I don't know where to go from here. I'm not looking for an answer, just an explanation of the steps. My professor doesn't explain anything. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should always solve problems symbolically before plugging in numbers. That is the only way to learn the physics.

Look at a single molecule, not a whole mole. Relate the energy to temperature. There is a distribution function that does that.

Sherman91 said:

Homework Statement

At what temperature will Cl2 molecules have sufficient velocity to escape the Earth’s gravitational pull? The escape velocity from the Earth is 25,000 mph. (Note: Cl2 is diatomic, so you’ll need to double the atomic weight shown on the periodic table.)
Cl=35.5g/mol v=11.2km/s

Homework Equations

v=√3kT/m

This is where I am stuck. I don't know where to go from here. I'm not looking for an answer, just an explanation of the steps. My professor doesn't explain anything. Thank you!

Won't the particle speeds follow a statistical distribution (Maxwell-Boltzmann) for any given temperature? Given that, some fraction of the molecules must always have a speed equal to or greater than escape speed.

Perhaps there are some unstated assumptions? They may want you to find the temperature where the average speed is sufficient. Or maybe the RMS speed?

Sherman91 said:

Do not forget that the square root refers to the whole expression on the right-hand side. But you do not need the square root. Write up the expression for v^2. Transform km/s to m/s and isolate T.

ehild

First, let's clarify the given information. The question is asking for the temperature at which Cl2 molecules will have enough velocity to escape Earth's gravitational pull, which is equivalent to asking for the minimum kinetic energy required for the molecules to escape. This kinetic energy is related to the velocity of the molecules, which is given as 11.2 km/s.

Next, we need to use the equation v=√3kT/m, where v is the velocity of the molecules, k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38x10^-23 J/K), T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of one molecule (0.071 kg/mol). However, we need to rearrange this equation to solve for T, the temperature.

To do this, we can square both sides of the equation to get v^2=3kT/m. Then, we can multiply both sides by m/3k to get T=v^2m/3k. Now, we can plug in the given values to solve for T.

T=(11.2x10^3 m/s)^2(0.071 kg/mol)/(3x1.38x10^-23 J/K)

T=6.8x10^5 K

Therefore, the minimum temperature at which Cl2 molecules will have enough velocity to escape Earth's gravitational pull is approximately 6.8x10^5 Kelvin.

Related to What temperature does Cl2 need to escape Earth?

1. What is the temperature required for Cl2 to escape Earth?

The temperature required for Cl2 to escape Earth varies depending on the atmospheric conditions and the specific location on Earth. On average, it is estimated that Cl2 would need to reach a temperature of at least 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit (760 degrees Celsius) to escape Earth's atmosphere.

2. Can Cl2 escape Earth at room temperature?

No, Cl2 cannot escape Earth at room temperature. The average temperature on Earth's surface is around 59 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius), which is significantly lower than the temperature required for Cl2 to escape.

3. What factors affect the temperature needed for Cl2 to escape Earth?

The main factors that affect the temperature needed for Cl2 to escape Earth are atmospheric pressure, gravity, and the composition of Earth's atmosphere. These factors can vary depending on location and can impact the boiling point and vapor pressure of Cl2, ultimately affecting the temperature needed for it to escape.

4. Is there a specific temperature range at which Cl2 can escape Earth?

Yes, there is a specific temperature range at which Cl2 can escape Earth. This range is known as the "escape velocity" and is typically between 7,000 and 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit (3,871 and 5,538 degrees Celsius) for gases like Cl2. However, this range can vary depending on the factors mentioned above.

5. Could Cl2 escape Earth's atmosphere if the temperature was artificially increased?

Yes, it is possible for Cl2 to escape Earth's atmosphere if the temperature is artificially increased. This could occur in scenarios such as volcanic eruptions or human-made explosions. However, these occurrences would likely have significant impacts on Earth's atmosphere and would not be sustainable for Cl2 to escape on a regular basis.