What Temperature Makes the Reaction N2O4 --> 2NO2 Spontaneous?

• Thread starter CasanovaFrankenstein
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the temperature at which the reaction N2O4 --> 2NO2 becomes spontaneous, given the values of delta H and delta S. The summary also suggests finding a derivation that includes delta G and using the simplest equation to solve for the temperature.
CasanovaFrankenstein
Alright,

This is a followup to my previous post: thanks for the advice on the two questions. I got the HH one. That was quite easy.

However, I'm not getting this one correctly:

N2O4 --> 2NO2
Delta G is 2.8kJ (under standard conditions). At what temp will it become spontaneous?

So. I know Gibb's is: Delta G = Delta H - T(delta S)

The delta H for N2O4 is 9.66 and NO2 is 33.85
The delta S for N2O4 is 304.3 and NO2 is 240.46
This is per my book

I plug those into the Delta H and Delta S equations:
2(33.85) - 9.66 = 58
2(240.46) - 304.3 = 176.9

T = Delta H / Delta S
This comes out to 0.328 K

That can't be right! What did I do wrong?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should be able to find a derivation which includes the [tex] \Delta G^{0},~and~ \Delta G [/tex] The reaction is spontaneous when [tex] \Delta G [/tex] is zero. Try to find the simplest equation.

Welcome back! It's great to see you back with a new question. It looks like you're working on a thermodynamics problem involving the reaction N2O4 --> 2NO2. To determine at what temperature the reaction will become spontaneous, you need to use the equation Delta G = Delta H - T(delta S), just as you did. However, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations. When plugging in the values for delta H and delta S, you need to use the values for the products (2NO2) minus the values for the reactant (N2O4). This will give you a delta G value of -58 kJ/mol. To solve for T, you would divide this value by the delta S value of 176.9 J/mol*K, giving you a temperature of approximately 328 K. This makes more sense because at higher temperatures, the reaction becomes more spontaneous. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to What Temperature Makes the Reaction N2O4 --> 2NO2 Spontaneous?

What does "Back with a brand new edition" mean?

"Back with a brand new edition" is a phrase commonly used to indicate that a product, book, show, or other entity has been updated or revised. It suggests that there have been changes or improvements made since the previous version, and that it is now being reintroduced to the public.

Why is it important to have a new edition?

A new edition is important because it allows for new information, updates, and improvements to be incorporated into a product. This not only keeps the material relevant and up-to-date, but also provides an opportunity to correct any errors or address any issues that may have been present in the previous edition.

What is the process for creating a new edition?

The process for creating a new edition may vary depending on the type of product or material. However, it typically involves research, revisions, and updates being made by the original creator or a team of experts. This may also involve gathering feedback from readers or users of the previous edition.

How often should a new edition be released?

The frequency of new editions will depend on various factors, such as the subject matter and the rate of change within the field. Some industries may require more frequent updates, while others may only need a new edition every few years. Ultimately, the decision to release a new edition will be based on the need for updates and improvements.

Can I still use the previous edition?

Yes, you can still use the previous edition. However, it is important to keep in mind that the information may be outdated or incomplete. It is recommended to use the most recent edition for the most accurate and up-to-date information.