What Temperature Must an Iron Band Be Heated to Fit a Barrel?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the necessary temperature for an iron band to fit over a barrel with given dimensions, and determining the tension in the band after it cools to 20 degrees Celsius. The solution involves using equations for volume expansion and thermal stress, assuming that all linear dimensions expand by the same factor and that the material is isotropic.
e(ho0n3

Homework Statement

A barrel of diameter D at 20 degrees Celsius is to be enclosed by an iron band. The circular band has an inside diameter of d at 20 degrees Celsius. It is w wide and t thick. (a) To what temperature must the band be heated so that it will fit over the barrel? (b) What will be the tension in the band when it cools to 20 degrees Celsius?

Homework Equations

For (a) I will need the equations to calculate the volume of the band and the change in volume of the band when heated. For (b), I will need the equation for determining thermal stress.

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), is it safe to assume that the wideness of the band remains the same while the thickness of the band expands linearly? If so, then I can calculate the the desired volume after heating and use the volume expansion formula to determine the change in temp.

For (b), the equation for thermal stress has area as one of its variables. The area is some cross-section of the material. In the case of the band, will the cross-section used be t x w?

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
For (a), is it safe to assume that the wideness of the band remains the same while the thickness of the band expands linearly? If so, then I can calculate the the desired volume after heating and use the volume expansion formula to determine the change in temp.
All linear dimensions expand by the same factor. No need to consider volume.

For (b), the equation for thermal stress has area as one of its variables. The area is some cross-section of the material. In the case of the band, will the cross-section used be t x w?
That seems reasonable.

Doc Al said:
All linear dimensions expand by the same factor. No need to consider volume.

Does that mean that the radius of the band expands linearly? I'm playing it safe by dealing with the volume because I don't know the answer to this question.

e(ho0n3 said:
Does that mean that the radius of the band expands linearly?
Yes it does.

Why is that? Suppose the band is a thin ring that is not closed. Does the radius still expand or does the gap in the ring just get smaller when the ring is heated? I would suspect the latter.

All linear dimensions expand the same way (assuming the material is isotropic). The radius will expand, as will the gap.

Related to What Temperature Must an Iron Band Be Heated to Fit a Barrel?

1. How do you heat a band to fit a barrel?

To heat a band to fit a barrel, you can use a heat gun or a torch to warm up the band. You can also place the band in an oven set to a low temperature until it becomes pliable.

2. What is the best temperature to heat the band to fit a barrel?

The best temperature to heat the band to fit a barrel will depend on the material of the band and the barrel. It is important to heat the band gradually and not exceed the recommended temperature for the material to avoid damaging it.

3. How long does it take to heat a band to fit a barrel?

The time it takes to heat a band to fit a barrel will depend on the method of heating and the thickness of the band. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour. It is important to monitor the temperature and not leave the band unattended.

4. Can I use a hairdryer to heat a band to fit a barrel?

Using a hairdryer to heat a band to fit a barrel is not recommended. Hairdryers do not reach high enough temperatures and do not distribute heat evenly, which can result in uneven heating and a band that does not fit properly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when heating a band to fit a barrel?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when heating a band to fit a barrel. Always wear heat-resistant gloves to protect your hands from burns. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes. And never leave the heating tool unattended, as it can be a fire hazard.