What Tension Must Ellen Maintain to Steady the Piano Descent?

In summary, a 500 kg piano is being lowered into position by a crane while 2 people steady it with ropes pulling to the sides. Bob's rope is pulling to the left at a 15 degree angle below horizontal with 500 N of tension, while Ellen's rope is pulling to the right at a 25 degree angle below horizontal. To keep the piano descending at a steady speed, Ellen must maintain a tension of 532 N in her rope, as the total horizontal force exerted by Bob and Ellen must be zero in order to balance the vertical force of the crane."
klm
a 500 kg piano is being lowered into position by a crane while 2 people steady it with ropes pulling to the sides. bob's rope pulls to the left, 15 degrees below horizontal, with 500 N of tension. ellen's rope pulls toward the right, 25 degrees below horizontal. what tension must ellen maintain in her rope to keep the piano descending at a steady speed?

ok so what i understood from this, is that bobs rope is in the 3rd quad and ellens is in the 4th. and i guess there is a main cable from the crane going straight up. and then since is says it is descending at a steady speed that means that there is no net force or acceleration. so i figured i should get the components of bob's rope, Bx=-482 By=-129.
and the i thought that
Fnetx = Bx+Ex =0
-482 + Ecos25 =0
Ecos25=482
E=532
Fnety = By+Ey=o
-129+Esin25=0
E=306
and then i found the magnitude of the two components of E and 614 N. but that is incorrect. so i don't know what to do anymore!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the total force on the piano that must be zero, including the force of the crane (not just Bob and Ellen's force). But you know (or can assume) that the crane is just pulling vertically. So the only horizontal forces are exerted by Bob & Ellen, so the horizontal components of their forces must add to zero. And that's all you need to find Ellen's force. (You've already done the calculation.)

so is ellen's force 532 N? b/c i am not understand why you do not need bob and ellens vertical component force?

klm said:
so is ellen's force 532 N? b/c i am not understand why you do not need bob and ellens vertical component force?
That's correct. Since they are just steadying the crane, their total horizontal force must be zero. That's all you need to solve the problem. Their vertical force isn't zero, because the crane add its force to the piano. (The crane pulls vertically.)

thank you doc al

Related to What Tension Must Ellen Maintain to Steady the Piano Descent?

1. What is rope tension?

Rope tension refers to the amount of force applied to a rope that is stretched between two points. It is often measured in pounds or kilograms.

2. How is rope tension measured?

Rope tension can be measured using a variety of tools, such as a tension meter or a dynamometer. These devices can accurately measure the amount of force applied to a rope.

3. What factors affect rope tension?

The tension of a rope is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the object being lifted, the length and diameter of the rope, and the angle of the rope between the two points of attachment.

4. Why is rope tension important in scientific experiments?

Rope tension is important in scientific experiments because it can impact the accuracy and reliability of the results. If the tension is not consistent, it can affect the measurements and ultimately the conclusions drawn from the experiment.

5. How can rope tension be adjusted?

Rope tension can be adjusted by either increasing or decreasing the amount of force applied to the rope. This can be done by changing the angle of the rope, adding or removing weight from the object being lifted, or using a different type of rope with a different diameter or material.

Back