What Theoretical Algebra Book Covers Advanced Topics Beyond High School Level?

In summary: I think I have one right here!In summary, this person is looking for a high school-level algebra book that covers theory, but is looking for something more theoretical than what is currently available.
Kalvino
What is a good book on algebra that is highly theoretical and covers functions, the binomial theorem, sequences/series (basically all algebra topics in college) and if possible, elementary number theory?

Most books on high school-college algebra today don't cover theory at all and when they do claim to do so, they really don't. Books today are fluffed up with the "How?" rather than the "Why?" and I find this very infuriating. That's why I am looking for a theoretical algebra book, IF it even exists.

NOTE: Gelfand's Algebra is too elementary and I have already read it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're describing is an introductory abstract algebra textbook (typically Junior in college-level). I've heard good things about
Pinter's "A book of abstract algebra."

It's a Dover book, so it's available for 10-20$.

However, it's good to have some mathematical maturity before diving into abstract algebra.

Note: most of the topics one finds in high school algebra are taught on a more theoretical basis in analysis textbooks. To a lesser extent, in calculus textbooks (things like slope, etc.)

axmls said:
What you're describing is an introductory abstract algebra textbook (typically Junior in college-level). I've heard good things about
Pinter's "A book of abstract algebra."

It's a Dover book, so it's available for 10-20$.

However, it's good to have some mathematical maturity before diving into abstract algebra.

Note: most of the topics one finds in high school algebra are taught on a more theoretical basis in analysis textbooks. To a lesser extent, in calculus textbooks (things like slope, etc.)

you can get a hard cover of Pinter's book for 5 dollars shipped.

I like Euler's Elements of Algebra. but you should look at it in a library or somewhere before investing money. You might not like it. It does have a lot of elementary stuff but also gets eventually quite advanced, and there is a more advanced addendum by Lagrange. It is also available free online.

mathwonk said:
I like Euler's Elements of Algebra. but you should look at it in a library or somewhere before investing money. You might not like it. It does have a lot of elementary stuff but also gets eventually quite advanced, and there is a more advanced addendum by Lagrange. It is also available free online.

I am glad you answered, mathwonk. Gladder than I have ever been before, since it was originally your suggestion on here that convinced me to buy Euler's Elements of Algebra a week ago. However there is one problem, it does not introduce the concept of a f(x)-type function. I was looking for a similar book with the same theoretical vibe and brilliant exposition that delves a little further from Euler's book. After reading Elements by Euler, what do you think I should read? (I have read Euclid's Elements already) - It would be quite nice if there happened to be a book by Euler that discussed functions, sequence/series, binomial theorem, matrices/determinants since he is absolutely brilliant. But I am not sure if there is any, do you have something similar with the topics I mentioned in mind? If yes, please let me know.

Last edited:
well functions are mentioned in a footnote on page 465 by Lagrange in the addendum to that book, but not the notation f(x). Euler has another book, Introduction to analysis of the infinite, sor of his precalculus book, which studies functions more generally but I again do not see the notation f(x) there. Of course that does not bother me as the notation is only incidental to the subjct, but I am puzzled since I always heard it was Euler who introduced that notation. On th other hand Euler was mostly concerned with functions that have explcit formulas, or at least implicit ones, so did not need to use an abstract functional notation like f(x). He just gave the definition of his functions.

It's not the most theoretical book, but it is amazing: Art of problem Solving's intermediate algebra

Vardaan Bhat said:
It's not the most theoretical book, but it is amazing: Art of problem Solving's intermediate algebra
that is to basic for the thread starter's reasons.

Kalvino said:
What is a good book on algebra that is highly theoretical and covers functions, the binomial theorem, sequences/series (basically all algebra topics in college) and if possible, elementary number theory?

This content sounds more like analysis to me the study of continuously varying quantities or numbers like functions, series.and sequences. For algebra ( of which there are many ) generally is the study of mathematical systems where a mathematical systems consists of undefined terms, elements and operations, axioms and postulates that establish relationships between the two, and definitions and theorems.

Related to What Theoretical Algebra Book Covers Advanced Topics Beyond High School Level?

1. What is the purpose of theoretical books on algebra?

The purpose of theoretical books on algebra is to provide a deep understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of algebra. These books often delve into topics such as abstract algebra, linear algebra, and group theory, and aim to equip readers with the knowledge and skills to solve complex problems in mathematics and other related fields.

2. Are theoretical books on algebra suitable for beginners?

While some theoretical books on algebra may be geared towards advanced readers, there are also many books that cater to beginners. These books typically start with the basics of algebra and gradually introduce more advanced concepts, making them accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge of the subject.

3. What sets theoretical books on algebra apart from other math textbooks?

Theoretical books on algebra focus on the theoretical aspects of the subject, rather than just providing a step-by-step guide for solving equations. These books often include proofs, discussions on the underlying principles, and applications of algebra in other areas of mathematics and science. They are also more abstract and conceptual, challenging readers to think critically and creatively.

4. Can theoretical books on algebra be used as a reference?

Yes, theoretical books on algebra can serve as a valuable reference for mathematicians, scientists, and students studying advanced mathematics. They often contain a wealth of information and can be used to refresh one's knowledge on a specific topic or to learn about new developments in the field.

5. How can one effectively study from a theoretical book on algebra?

Effective study of theoretical books on algebra requires a strong foundation in basic algebraic concepts and the ability to think abstractly. It is important to read and understand the proofs and examples, and to actively engage with the material by solving problems and discussing concepts with others. It is also helpful to have a good grasp of mathematical notation and terminology.