What to do about grad school? What does an engineer do on a day to day basis?

In summary: They use their knowledge of math and science to design and create solutions to real-world problems. In summary, as a physics/math major with a 4.0 GPA, the individual is interested in pursuing an advanced degree in engineering or physics at Penn State. They have questions about the process of getting accepted to grad school and the day-to-day responsibilities of an engineer. Suggestions include participating in REUs and gaining research experience with a professor in their desired field of engineering. Engineers use their knowledge to solve real-world problems in various roles such as circuit design, management, and drawing review.
zoobe13
I’m currently a physics/math major. I work very hard and am proud of my 4.0 GPA. However, as my peers and professors begin to talk about grad school I realize I don’t have a clue what I'm supposed to do. My goal is to go to Penn State for an advanced degree in some type of engineering or physics. I have several questions if anyone can answer any of them at all that would be great.

What do I do about getting accepted to grad school? I'm going to try to apply to REU's over the summer but are there other things I should be doing to improve my chance of getting accepted?

If I get into grad school for physics I would really enjoy being a professor someday, but I hear so many negatives about the profession (long hours, under paid, stressful, etc.). What is it really like? At the university I go to they seem to love their jobs and what they do.

Finally, What exactly does an engineer do? If I got an advanced degree in some field of engineering what do they do on a day to day basis?

I hope someone will be able to at least answer some of my questions. I love physics and building things but when it finally comes time to seriously consider grad school I want to be sure I'm doing what I need to get me where I want to go.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobe13 said:
What do I do about getting accepted to grad school? I'm going to try to apply to REU's over the summer but are there other things I should be doing to improve my chance of getting accepted?
A 4.0 GPA is a great start. REUs would contribute to the cause. Graduate schools would also like to see a longer-term research effort with a professor working in some area of engineering, preferably the one you want to go into.

Finally, What exactly does an engineer do? If I got an advanced degree in some field of engineering what do they do on a day to day basis?

Varies greatly. Circuit design, management, drawing review, and lots of other things are all possible if not probable.

FAQ: What to do about grad school? What does an engineer do on a day to day basis?

1. Can I go to grad school for engineering with a non-engineering undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in engineering with a non-engineering undergraduate degree. However, most graduate programs will require you to have a strong background in math and science courses, and you may need to take additional prerequisite courses before being admitted.

2. What is the difference between a Master's and a PhD in engineering?

A Master's degree in engineering typically takes 2-3 years to complete and focuses on advanced coursework and a research thesis. A PhD in engineering usually takes 4-5 years and is more research-intensive, requiring a dissertation and original contribution to the field.

3. Is it worth getting a graduate degree in engineering?

It depends on your career goals and interests. A graduate degree can open up opportunities for higher-paying and more specialized roles in engineering. It may also be necessary for certain positions or advancement within a company. However, it is important to consider the time and financial commitment of pursuing a graduate degree.

4. What are the typical job duties of an engineer?

The day-to-day responsibilities of an engineer vary depending on their field and specific job role. However, some common tasks include designing and testing prototypes, analyzing data and creating reports, collaborating with other team members, and managing projects. They may also attend meetings, communicate with clients, and stay up-to-date on industry advancements.

5. How do I know if engineering is the right career for me?

If you enjoy problem-solving, working with technology, and have a strong aptitude for math and science, engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also important to research the different types of engineering and see which aligns with your interests and strengths. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing can help you determine if engineering is the right career path for you.