What to do to become a surgeon?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Destiny DeHeer
  • Start date
In summary: Assuming you're in the US, when you get to college, you'll follow whatever path they have for people who are interested in going to medical school later. Different colleges and universities do things differently, but it probably won't matter which specialty (e.g. surgery) you're aiming for.
Destiny DeHeer
I am going into 10th grade what classes/ things should I be doing if I want to become a surgeon? Like is being on the B honor roll to low or? Should I be volunteering?

Physics news on Phys.org
In high school it's very much about maintaining the best marks you can and learning as much as you can... about science, about people, about the medical profession.

Volunteering is a good thing. If you're interested in any kind of medical career, it's a good thing to try to get some kind of exposure to this as early as you can. There's a practical side to medicine that involves dealing with sick people that not everyone is cut out for, even if they are very smart. Things you can do in high school include:
- volunteering at a local hospital
- learning first aid, and then from here you can sometimes get involved with groups like St. John's Ambulance, or the Red Cross and help providing first aid at events like parades or festivals
- getting a job that involves an element of customer service
- when you're old enough you can volunteer for military service and select a medical trade
- do science fair projects that have a medical flavour such as developing an 'app' to predict blood sugar levels, etc.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to overdo it. I think a lot of people burn themselves out trying to do everything under the sun in pursuit of a long term goal that may or may not happen. There are many paths to get "there" from "here" and you don't have to be on the absolute optimal one.

Likes berkeman
Assuming you're in the US, when you get to college, you'll follow whatever path they have for people who are interested in going to medical school later. Different colleges and universities do things differently, but it probably won't matter which specialty (e.g. surgery) you're aiming for.

The small college where I taught doesn't have a specific pre-medical major. Instead, a committee chooses a specific list of courses for pre-meds, who can major in anything they want so long as they can fit those courses in. The committee enforces that course list by writing recommendation letters for medical school applications, only for students who successfully complete those courses. I served on that committee for a few years, because all pre-meds there have to take freshman physics. Most pre-meds major in biology, but I remember also seeing chemistry, psychology, English, political science, and even physics. There were probably others that I don't remember.

jtbell said:
Assuming you're in the US, when you get to college, you'll follow whatever path they have for people who are interested in going to medical school later. Different colleges and universities do things differently, but it probably won't matter which specialty (e.g. surgery) you're aiming for.

The small college where I taught doesn't have a specific pre-medical major. Instead, a committee chooses a specific list of courses for pre-meds, who can major in anything they want so long as they can fit those courses in. The committee enforces that course list by writing recommendation letters for medical school applications, only for students who successfully complete those courses. I served on that committee for a few years, because all pre-meds there have to take freshman physics. Most pre-meds major in biology, but I remember also seeing chemistry, psychology, English, political science, and even physics. There were probably others that I don't remember.
Thank U!:)

Choppy said:
In high school it's very much about maintaining the best marks you can and learning as much as you can... about science, about people, about the medical profession.

Volunteering is a good thing. If you're interested in any kind of medical career, it's a good thing to try to get some kind of exposure to this as early as you can. There's a practical side to medicine that involves dealing with sick people that not everyone is cut out for, even if they are very smart. Things you can do in high school include:
- volunteering at a local hospital
- learning first aid, and then from here you can sometimes get involved with groups like St. John's Ambulance, or the Red Cross and help providing first aid at events like parades or festivals
- getting a job that involves an element of customer service
- when you're old enough you can volunteer for military service and select a medical trade
- do science fair projects that have a medical flavour such as developing an 'app' to predict blood sugar levels, etc.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to overdo it. I think a lot of people burn themselves out trying to do everything under the sun in pursuit of a long term goal that may or may not happen. There are many paths to get "there" from "here" and you don't have to be on the absolute optimal one.
Thank you!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

Related to What to do to become a surgeon?

1. What education and training is required to become a surgeon?

To become a surgeon, one must complete a four-year undergraduate degree, followed by four years of medical school. After this, aspiring surgeons must complete a surgical residency program, which typically lasts for 5-7 years. Additional training in a specialized area of surgery, known as a fellowship, may also be required.

2. What skills and qualities are important for a surgeon?

Surgeons must possess excellent hand-eye coordination, dexterity, and motor skills. They must also have strong problem-solving and critical thinking abilities. In addition, surgeons must have a high level of empathy, strong communication skills, and the ability to work well under pressure.

3. What is the average salary for a surgeon?

The average salary for a surgeon in the United States is around $255,110 per year. However, this can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, type of practice, and specialization.

4. How long does it take to become a surgeon?

The path to becoming a surgeon can take anywhere from 12-16 years after high school. This includes 4 years of undergraduate studies, 4 years of medical school, and 5-7 years of surgical residency. Additional training in a fellowship may add on 1-2 years.

5. What are the most common specialties within surgery?

Some of the most common specialties within surgery include general surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, and plastic surgery. Other specialties include pediatric surgery, vascular surgery, and urology.