What to do with a DC to AC power inverter?

In summary, the 750 watt power inverter can be used for a few things, but don't expect it to handle high power loads like running a machine that uses a lot of power. If you need a high wattage inverter, you're better off looking for something like a 2000 watt model.
wil3
I recently acquired by accident a 750 watt DC to AC power inverter, designed for powering AC appliances off of a car battery or other 12V power source. I have no need for such functionality.

I am really interested in high voltage projects and I was wondering if there are any interesting modifications I can make to the inverter. Is there a way to make a high voltage or current AC to DC rectifier from it (this could be useful for my electroplating projects)? Can I make an HV AC power supply from it somehow?

In general, is there anything interesting at all that I can do with it besides scrapping it for parts?

*Do not lock this thread for my safety. I will work with the utmost caution and avoid any dangerous situations. I have built a resonant Tesla Coil and so I have the necessary experience dealing with high voltage. I simply am new to modern high power systems like integrated circuit power inverters.

**In addition, please do not lock this thread due to fear of propagation of dangerous ideas and the safety of others. Very few inexperienced people will happen upon 750 Watt power inverters in their lifetime, and so it is unlikely some impressionable toddler will glean from this thread a manner of putting themselves in harm's way.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't have to use it at full capacity. if you ever went camping, you could run a shaver or a computer off it, for example.

However, if you really don't need it, you could sell it and get something you could use.

Such a power source would be worth money to the right people, especially if it has a clean sinewave output.

Hook some Solar Panels up to it. 12V Panels aren't hard to find and it's free energy you can use for a bunch of things. That's what I would do with it, but that's me. I would even maybe puts some batteries in between to have a backup power supply for a coffee maker or something...anyways

-------------
Justin Coulston
justin.coulston@gmail.com
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

Does it have sinewave output, and will it handle inductive loads? Send it to me, and I'll take it apart for you.

Jcouls29 said:
Hook some Solar Panels up to it. 12V Panels aren't hard to find and it's free energy you can use for a bunch of things. That's what I would do with it, but that's me. I would even maybe puts some batteries in between to have a backup power supply for a coffee maker or something...anyways

-------------
Justin Coulston

You would need over 60amps@ 12v of panels. That wouldn't be cheap.

It sounds like an absolutely great thing to have during a storm outage. You could power your fridge intermittantly to keep the food fresh. Also, if your like me, you're depent upon a 24 volt transformer and 120VAC to bring my gas furnace up. Again, you machine would be great in a winter storm.

As for solar powered projects, it's a matter of charging a battry for an exended to, so that you may use you high power applinces for a short time.

Mike_In_Plano said:
It sounds like an absolutely great thing to have during a storm outage. You could power your fridge intermittantly to keep the food fresh. Also, if your like me, you're depent upon a 24 volt transformer and 120VAC to bring my gas furnace up. Again, you machine would be great in a winter storm.

As for solar powered projects, it's a matter of charging a battry for an exended to, so that you may use you high power applinces for a short time.

750watts is useful but to try to run high powered appliances would not be recommended. I would recommend a 2000watt inverter run off of a 100Ah battery And if solar is the main charging station, a 30amp @12v would be the fastest charging I would recommend. but no less than 10amps.

So you would need a 120watt solar panel minimum. But since running off of a battery, you can only run power until the battery is depleted

HickmanENG. said:
You would need over 60amps@ 12v of panels. That wouldn't be cheap.

That's not necessarily true.

1) Most inverters you don't have to use to their full potential for them to work. If I had only 10 amps of 12V panel then the inverter would convert only 10 amps. Now when the load has a greater need than that...well...

2) It really wouldn't be smart to hook panels directly to it anyways. It would be best to have some batteries hooked between the 2. So the panels charge the batteries and the batteries provide the 60 amps. Now getting a hold of 60A-hrs (this can really be anything depending on how long you want to run something) worth of batteries could get expensive but you would have to do it over time. Then the panels wouldn't matter so much. 10 amps worth of solar panels could almost charge 60A-hrs of batteries in a day (almost it may only roughly 50 A-hrs on 1 sun-day which is ~4.5-5 hrs)

I plan on doing this to my home, that's why I brought it up.

You are correct though. 60A of panels would be needed for full capabilities, and yes that is expensive HA!

Later

[EDIT] I didn't notice you already posted about it, apologies. That I knew

----------------
Justin Coulston

Jcouls29 said:
I plan on doing this to my home, that's why I brought it up.

You are correct though. 60A of panels would be needed for full capabilities, and yes that is expensive HA!

Later

[EDIT] I didn't notice you already posted about it, apologies.

----------------
Justin Coulston

Actually 60amps wouldn't really be enough for full capabilities of a 750watt inverter. They can peak way over 1000watts.

I think it is worth the investment in solar panels for your home. In the long run you will have the return. Not to mention any surplus that can be sent back through the grid for meantime return. I believe you can claim that on your federal taxes too. (if in the US)

Related to What to do with a DC to AC power inverter?

1. Can I use a DC to AC power inverter to power my household appliances?

Yes, you can use a DC to AC power inverter to power household appliances. However, you will need to make sure that the wattage of the inverter is sufficient to handle the power requirements of your appliances.

2. How do I connect the DC to AC power inverter to my car battery?

To connect the inverter to your car battery, you will need to use a set of heavy-duty cables with alligator clips on each end. Connect the red clip to the positive terminal of the battery and the black clip to the negative terminal. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for proper connection.

3. What is the difference between a modified sine wave and a pure sine wave inverter?

A modified sine wave inverter produces an output that is a close approximation of a sine wave, while a pure sine wave inverter produces a smoother and more precise sine wave output. Pure sine wave inverters are recommended for sensitive electronic devices, while modified sine wave inverters are suitable for basic appliances and tools.

4. Can I use a DC to AC power inverter with solar panels?

Yes, you can use a DC to AC power inverter with solar panels. In fact, many solar power systems use inverters to convert the DC energy from the panels into AC energy that can be used in homes and buildings.

5. How do I determine the right size of DC to AC power inverter for my needs?

The size of the inverter you need will depend on the wattage of the appliances or devices you want to power. Add up the wattage of all the devices you want to use simultaneously and choose an inverter with a capacity that is slightly higher than the total wattage to account for any power surges.