What to do with poor GRE subject test score?

In summary: It is also worth noting that some programs may have a minimum GRE score requirement, so it is important to check with each program individually. Overall, it is always best to be transparent and communicate with the admissions departments to make sure you are making the best decision for your application. In summary, if your other qualifications are strong, it may still be worth applying to the programs you are interested in, but be sure to contact the admissions departments and explain your situation.
Ecoi
Well, I decided to take the math GRE subject test. The score I received was actually quite a shock to me: 560 scaled score and 27% below (eww). I was getting 70-80% of the questions right on the two practice tests, and afterwards I felt like I knew around 60-70% of the questions. I must have really screwed up somehow! I will note that halfway through the test, I noticed I had 4 answers marked in their incorrect places, so I had to correct that. Will I be given my answers and what the correct answers were to check if something like this happened? If so, is there any way to have them fix this if I think it is likely that something like this happened?

All that aside, let's assume that I really performed that poorly (that is possible). I am a math and physics major (double degree) and I have a 4.0 GPA. I have done 2 REUs and am actually having one of my REU papers being published in a regular journal. My regular gre is okay... (about average verbal and writing, near perfect quantitative) I feel like everything in my application is strong except for this darn subject test gre score... My question is, what sort of grad program(s) could I get into with this score, and should I even bother adding it to my application? I am *very* disappointed in it and I do not feel like it accurately indicates my mathematical knowledge.

There were some nice grad programs I was thinking about applying to, so should I not bother applying to these programs? A lot of the programs I was wanting to apply to either require the score or *strongly* suggest it. If everything else on my application is very strong, do I still have a shot? Should I omit these scores from my application on applications that do not require them? I'm really not sure what to do because I wasn't expecting to get this sort of score really! Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is understandable that you are disappointed in your GRE Math Subject Test score, and it can be difficult to know if and where to apply. The best thing to do in this situation is to contact the graduate programs you are interested in and explain your situation. It may be the case that they will allow you to submit your application without the Math GRE score, or they may consider your other qualifications when reviewing your application. The important thing is to reach out and make sure that the admissions department knows that your other qualifications are strong and that your Math GRE score does not accurately reflect your mathematical knowledge.

Related to What to do with poor GRE subject test score?

1. What is considered a "poor" GRE subject test score?

A "poor" GRE subject test score is typically considered to be below the 50th percentile. This means that the score falls below the average score of all test takers for that specific subject.

2. Will a poor GRE subject test score affect my chances of getting accepted into graduate school?

While a poor GRE subject test score may not be ideal, it is not the only factor considered by graduate school admissions committees. Your overall academic record, letters of recommendation, and personal statement will also be taken into account. However, a low score may limit your options for certain programs or scholarships.

3. Can I retake the GRE subject test if I am not happy with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE subject test. However, keep in mind that some graduate programs may look at all of your GRE scores, not just your highest one. It is important to prepare and study thoroughly before retaking the test to improve your score.

4. How can I improve my GRE subject test score?

To improve your GRE subject test score, it is important to thoroughly review the content and format of the test. Practice tests can also be helpful in identifying areas of weakness and focusing your study efforts. Additionally, seeking out study materials or a tutor may also be beneficial.

5. Will a poor GRE subject test score affect my career prospects?

A poor GRE subject test score may not directly affect your career prospects, but it can limit your options for graduate school programs or scholarships. It is important to keep in mind that your skills and experience are also important factors in your career success, not just test scores.