What to study for high power microwave amplifiers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the person's interest in designing devices such as magnetrons, klystrons, gyrotrons, and free electron lasers/masers. They mention their desire to learn more about plasma physics and EE, but they are unable to go back to university due to financial and sleep issues. They ask for advice on self-study materials and are recommended to focus on advanced E&M and microwave engineering, as well as possibly taking a graduate class in accelerator physics. A book on electron device physics is suggested as a starting point.
metiman
The kinds of devices I would like to be able to design are magnetrons, klystrons, gyrotrons, and maybe free electron lasers/masers. My goal is not to get a job in the field, but to just have enough knowledge to build some of these things myself. My first thought is plasma physics and EE, but I am hoping for some more specific advice. I am 42. In university I had trouble deciding on what I wanted to do. I did 2 years in English, 1 year in Electrical Engineering Technology, 2 years in Electrical Engineering, and then I was unable to continue for financial reasons (parent stopped paying, hehe).

I would very much like to just go back to university as an undergrad and double major in physics and EE, but that's not really an option at the moment. Due to a rare sleep problem I have, I can't consistently be awake for morning classes. If I could somehow manage my sleep problem I would be asking about exactly what programs to take or what schools to go to. Or maybe I could find a university somewhere that has full physics and EE programs through evening classes or a good online university. But my general intent of this post is to ask about learning materials for self study in plasma physics, mathematics, and EE. Something like: Plasma Physics A-Z or Advanced Plasma Physics for Dummies: From the Ground Up would be nice. I wish more textbooks had the answers to problems available. The lack of them does make self-study even more difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to specialize in plasmas to get started, since the devices you describe are founded on what used to be called electron device physics, meaning devices based on electrons and electron beams. The good news is that there is a rich literature especially from the 50's-70's when these devices reigned supreme. You'll need a solid background in advanced E&M (I would approach it from the physics side, I don't know if typical undergrad EE courses on E&M would hack it) and microwave engineering. You might look for a graduate class in accelerator physics since many principles are similar.

Here's the first book that came up when I searched in Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608071847/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000CHPF7&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1N94VG1X9BQKFNAQMGYY

You'll find dozens of books going back to the rad lab series volume on magnetrons from the 40's.

Last edited:

Related to What to study for high power microwave amplifiers?

1. What is the purpose of studying high power microwave amplifiers?

The study of high power microwave amplifiers is important because these devices are used in a variety of applications such as radar systems, satellite communication, and medical equipment. Understanding their operation and design is crucial for improving their performance and developing new technologies.

2. What are the key components of a high power microwave amplifier?

A high power microwave amplifier typically consists of a power supply, a microwave source, an amplifier stage, and a load. The amplifier stage is the most critical component, as it is responsible for amplifying the microwave signal to a high power level.

3. How do you design a high power microwave amplifier?

Designing a high power microwave amplifier involves a combination of theoretical analysis and practical experimentation. The first step is to determine the desired specifications, such as frequency range and power output. Then, various amplifier configurations and components are selected and tested until the desired performance is achieved.

4. What are the major challenges in high power microwave amplifier design?

One of the main challenges in high power microwave amplifier design is dealing with heat dissipation. As the power level increases, the amplifier generates more heat, which can affect its performance and reliability. Therefore, proper cooling techniques and thermal management are crucial in the design process.

5. How can high power microwave amplifiers be tested and evaluated?

High power microwave amplifiers can be tested and evaluated using various techniques, such as load-pull measurements, power sweep tests, and efficiency measurements. These tests provide information on the amplifier's performance, efficiency, and stability, which are essential for assessing its overall quality and effectiveness.