What topics are necessary for the AP Physics B exam?

In summary, the student is seeking clarification on what topics they need to know for their AP Physics B class and exam. They are confused as their textbook covers a lot of material that may not be necessary for the exam, and they are unsure about topics like instantaneous velocity, torque on a current loop, and mass spectrometer. They are looking for a more detailed course description and are advised to consult their teacher for help.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am confused with what exactly I need to know and what I do not need to know for this class. Our textbook were using at my school is,

Physics
for Scientists & Engineers
with Modern Physics
Third Edition
Douglas C. Giancoli

this book covers a lot of stuff that I do not need to know for this class. I know that anything with calculus I do not need for the B exam. This however still leaves me with a lot of topics that I do not know if I need to know or not.

The college board provides this brief curiculm on their website for this course,
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/physics_b/topic.html?physicsb. So I am confused as to what I need to know and what I don't as that is a very brief course description.

Like do I need to know about instaneous velocity or torque on a current loop or what a mass spectrometer?

Like is their any more detailed course description that I can find anywhere? Although mass spectrometer does not appear on that website I do believe I have seen it on free response...

So can someone please post a link to a curiculm of what exactly i need to know for the AP Physics B test? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There's this marvelous type of person found all over the country, and if you're really really lucky, then one might help you out with this. They're called teachers.

Related to What topics are necessary for the AP Physics B exam?

1. What is AP Physics B?

AP Physics B is a course and exam offered by the College Board as part of the Advanced Placement Program. It covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Is AP Physics B difficult?

The difficulty of AP Physics B may vary for each individual, but it is generally considered a challenging course. It requires a strong understanding of math and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to apply concepts to real-world situations.

3. What is the format of the AP Physics B exam?

The AP Physics B exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 70 questions and makes up 50% of the total score. The free-response section contains 3 questions and makes up the other 50% of the total score.

4. How can I prepare for the AP Physics B exam?

There are several ways to prepare for the AP Physics B exam, including studying class notes and textbooks, practicing with past exams, and using review materials such as study guides and online resources. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in math and to regularly review and practice applying physics concepts.

5. What can I do with an AP Physics B credit?

Earning a high score on the AP Physics B exam can potentially earn college credit or advanced placement in physics courses at many colleges and universities. It can also demonstrate to colleges that you have a strong understanding of physics and are prepared for college-level coursework in the subject.