What total energy transfers from this motor during this work?

In summary, a loaded ore car with a mass of 970 kg is pulled up an inclined mine shaft at 30.0° above the horizontal. It accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.20 m/s in 10.5 s and continues at constant speed. The power required by the winch motor for constant speed is 1.05*10^4 and the maximum power required is 1.09*10^4. To calculate the total energy transferred out of the motor by work, one needs to add the energy of the acceleration phase and the energy of the constant velocity phase. Using different equations, the resulting answers are 6.8*10^6, 6.65*10^
darkwolfe5

Homework Statement

A loaded ore car has a mass of 970 kg and rolls on rails with negligible friction. It starts from rest and is pulled up a mine shaft by a cable connected to a winch. The shaft is inclined at 30.0° above the horizontal. The car accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.20 m/s in 10.5 s and then continues at constant speed.
(a) What power must the winch motor provide when the car is moving at constant speed?
(b) What maximum power must the winch motor provide?
(c) What total energy transfers out of the motor by work by the time the car moves off the end of the track, which is of length 1400 m?

Homework Equations

W=F*d
P = F*v = W/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten the answers to a & b
a) P = m * g * sin [tex]\theta[/tex] * v
970*(9.8 sin 30) * 2.2 = 1.05*10^4
b) P[tex]_{}max[/tex] = m * (v/t + g sin [tex]\theta[/tex]) * v
970 * (2.2/10.5 + 9.8) * 2.2 = 1.09*10^4

Now comes the part I don't understand

c) total energy should be the (energy of the acceleration phase) + (energy of constant velocity phase) so right now I have:
W = m*(a - g*sin [tex]\theta[/tex])*d
970(2.2/10.5 - 9.8 sin 30) * 1400 = 6.8*10^6

or: W = m*g*d*sin [tex]\theta[/tex])
970(9.8)(1400)(sin 30) = 6.65*10^6

or: W = m*g*sin [tex]\theta[/tex])*(1400-11.6) + 5428*11.6) = 6.66*10^6
11.6 being the distance traveled during acceleration

None of these is accepted as the correct answer I keep getting the response "your answer differs by order of magnitude" (REALLY wish I knew what that meant)

Physics news on Phys.org
and the correct answer is 5.6*10^6I'm guessing I'm missing something but I can't figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated!

Can someone please help me with this?

I would first like to clarify a few things. It seems like you have already solved parts a and b correctly, so I will focus on part c. It is important to note that the total energy transferred from the motor during this work is equal to the total work done on the car, which is equal to the change in the car's kinetic energy.

In this problem, the car starts from rest and accelerates to a constant speed, so we can break down the total energy transfer into two parts: the energy transferred during the acceleration phase and the energy transferred during the constant velocity phase.

During the acceleration phase, the car is gaining kinetic energy, which is equal to 1/2*m*v^2. So the work done on the car during this phase is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is:

W_1 = 1/2*m*(v_final^2 - v_initial^2) = 1/2*970*(2.2^2 - 0^2) = 1.1*10^3 J

During the constant velocity phase, the car maintains its speed, so there is no change in kinetic energy. Therefore, the work done on the car during this phase is equal to zero.

The total energy transferred from the motor is then:

W_total = W_1 + W_2 = 1.1*10^3 J + 0 J = 1.1*10^3 J

This is the total energy transferred from the motor during this work. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had.

Related to What total energy transfers from this motor during this work?

1. What is total energy transfer?

Total energy transfer refers to the amount of energy that is transferred from one form to another. In other words, it is the total amount of energy that is used or transformed in a given process or system.

2. How is total energy transfer calculated?

Total energy transfer can be calculated by adding up all the forms of energy involved in a process or system. This includes kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and any other forms of energy that may be present.

3. What is the role of a motor in energy transfer?

A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. In other words, it is responsible for transferring energy from a power source into the movement or work of a machine or system.

4. What factors affect total energy transfer in a motor?

There are several factors that can affect the total energy transfer in a motor, such as the efficiency of the motor, the type of motor, the load or resistance it is working against, and any external factors such as temperature or friction.

5. How does the concept of conservation of energy apply to total energy transfer in a motor?

The concept of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This applies to total energy transfer in a motor, as the total amount of energy remains constant, but it may change forms during the transfer process.