What type of math should I study to prepare for computer science?

In summary, you don't need to have a lot of maths to study computer science, but you should probably study binary, hexadecimal, and decimal conversions and bitwise operations if you want to get ahead of the game. Austin provides a few websites and suggested textbooks for those interested in getting started in computer science.
Anele
I am in grade 12 and very interested in computer science, however I noticed that I do not have as much mathematics "under my belt" as I would like.

I am simply wondering which type of math I should do on my own (in order to best prepare me for computer science).

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, you really don't need too much math to start out in computer science. In fact, at my university, Computer Science grads aren't even required to take Calculus III. Of course, this depends on your college/university, but as long as you have Algebra II or Precalculus you should be fine mathwise to study computer science.

However, you should probably study binary, hexadecimal, and decimal conversions and bitwise operations if you want to get ahead of the game.

I am personally an EE major, but many of my friends are CS majors, so I know a lot about what they're doing.

Hope that I could help!

-Austin

Thank you so much! That helps a lot! And would I be able to study this on my own with Google as my friend? Or would I require some sort of book? Thank you again!

Wow! Thank you so so much! I truly appreciate it! I can't wait to get started!

Likes sheldonrocks97
Anele said:
Wow! Thank you so so much! I truly appreciate it! I can't wait to get started!

No problem, Anele!

Last edited:
Likes Anele
One thing that helped me a lot was learning Boolean algebra. In particular, I learned how to start with a truth table for some circuit, convert the table to Boolean equations, reduce them using Boolean algebra rules and then constructing the circuit from the reduced equation.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_7/9.html

And more Boolean algebra:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/boolean/bool_7.html

Also learning how to use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse will go a long way with improving your programming skills.

Another thing to look at is the Open Source Physics website. OSP is a collection of Java classes that can be used to do computer simulations of physical systems.

Www.compadre.org/osp

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
One thing that helped me a lot was learning Boolean algebra. In particular, I learned how to start with a truth table for some circuit, convert the table to Boolean equations, reduce them using Boolean algebra rules and then constructing the circuit from the reduced equation.

I totally agree with this as well. Boolean algebra is very important for CS as it is for EE as well. I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

Ok, perfect! That sounds like a lot, so I will get started fairly soon. Thank you for the information and websites!

Do I need more than high school math to do any of this?

sheldonrocks97 said:
I totally agree with this as well. Boolean algebra is very important for CS as it is for EE as well. I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

Thank you for not mentioning it so I could.

Anele said:
Do I need more than high school math to do any of this?

As mentioned before, you shall only need up to about Algebra II or Precalc. My university also has their CS majors take a class called basic concepts of mathematics, which is taken after Calculus II, however you shouldn't worry about that yet. I have to take that class next semester so wish me luck, haha!

jedishrfu said:
Thank you for not mentioning it so I could.

Anytime!

Boolean algebra is very similar to standard algebra with the caveat that you are working with one and zero only.

For the computer simulations stuff it implies you know at least calculus and are comfortable with it.

Thank you very much for all your help! And good luck to both of you!

At most universities you don't need much maths for computer science, unless it is something like Cambridge.

At my university you have to take linear algebra, differential equations and multivariable calculus (combined in 1 subject), probability, logic and discrete mathematics (combined in 1 subject) and that is all. Things like graph theory, group theory, etc. aren't required, you learn them in the CS classes as needed.

I think the maths is very manageable even if you don't know much maths at this point. You don't need to do any analysis or advanced algebra, which are the hardest maths subjects.

Some universities only require linear algebra, calculus II and discrete mathematics but I highly recommend taking probability as well.

Great advice, thank you!

Get as much math as possible. Mathematical maturity is important in CS unless you just want to be a Cobol programmer for a bank

Likes Anele

Related to What type of math should I study to prepare for computer science?

What is computer science mathematics?

Computer science mathematics is the application of mathematical concepts and methods to the study and development of computer systems and algorithms.

Why is computer science mathematics important in computer science?

Computer science mathematics is important in computer science because it provides the foundation for understanding and analyzing complex algorithms and systems. It also helps in developing efficient and accurate solutions to problems in computer science.

What are some key areas of computer science mathematics?

Some key areas of computer science mathematics include discrete mathematics, linear algebra, calculus, and probability. These areas are used to model and analyze various aspects of computer science such as algorithms, data structures, and machine learning.

How can computer science mathematics be applied in real-world scenarios?

Computer science mathematics can be applied in real-world scenarios in various ways. For example, it can be used to design and optimize computer networks, develop algorithms for data analysis and machine learning, and create secure encryption methods for data protection.

What skills are necessary for understanding computer science mathematics?

To understand computer science mathematics, one needs to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning skills are essential for applying these concepts in the context of computer science.