What types of jobs are most in demand as of 2013

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the conversation discusses the most in-demand jobs in the US and Canada as of 2013. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that medical coding experts and other medical risk adjustment experts are in high demand due to the Affordable Care Act. The field of professional, scientific, and technical services is also in high demand, which includes engineers and other technical workers. However, there is some debate over whether this category also includes lawyers and architects. It is important to consider both supply and demand when analyzing job market information.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. Given the often contradictory information that is floating around regarding what fields are most/least in demand, I thought I would put this question to the entire Physics Forums community.

What types of jobs are MOST in demand in the US as of 2013? Now please keep in mind that I am asking about ANY types of jobs, not just STEM jobs. Base your answer on what you have heard, from personal experience, on the experiences of those you know personally, or on publications or reports on employment that is reputable or credible. I understand that the information I'm requesting is anecdotal; however, even anecdotes can be useful to at least point to potential sources of information.

For those of you in Physics Forums that are based in Canada, I would like to ask the same question about what types of jobs are MOST in demand in Canada as of 2013.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Medical coding experts. The demand created by the affordable care act is out of this world. Other medical risk adjustment experts as well.

The deceptive part about utilities is that although their overall numbers are shrinking due to automation of both billing and control systems, the demand for engineers and other technical workers remains quite strong.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
The deceptive part about utilities is that although their overall numbers are shrinking due to automation of both billing and control systems, the demand for engineers and other technical workers remains quite strong.

I would suspect that the engineers and other technical workers you are talking about would fall under the "Professional, scientific, and technical services", which is the second highest in demand field according to the BLS.

StatGuy2000 said:
I would suspect that the engineers and other technical workers you are talking about would fall under the "Professional, scientific, and technical services", which is the second highest in demand field according to the BLS.

If they were consultants, then I would agree with you. However, I am discussing engineers in context of regular employees of a utility.

From what Vanadium 50 posted from the BLS, it appears that the "Professional, scientific and technical services" category is the second highest job category in demand in the US. Now I would suspect that scientists and engineers would fall under this category, but wouldn't "professional services" include lawyers and architects as well?

Related to What types of jobs are most in demand as of 2013

What types of jobs are most in demand as of 2013?

The most in demand jobs as of 2013 are in the fields of healthcare, technology, finance, and business.

What specific job titles are in high demand as of 2013?

Some of the most in demand job titles as of 2013 include software engineer, data scientist, registered nurse, financial analyst, and sales representative.

What skills are employers looking for in these in demand jobs?

Employers are looking for a combination of technical skills and soft skills in these in demand jobs. Some technical skills include knowledge in coding languages, data analysis, and project management. Soft skills such as communication, leadership, and adaptability are also highly valued.

Are there any emerging industries that are seeing a high demand for jobs in 2013?

Yes, some emerging industries that are seeing a high demand for jobs in 2013 include renewable energy, cybersecurity, and e-commerce.

Will the demand for these jobs continue to increase in the future?

It is likely that the demand for these jobs will continue to increase in the future as technology and industries continue to advance and evolve. However, it is important to also stay updated on market trends and continuously develop new skills to remain competitive in the job market.