What uncertainties should I assume when I only know the measured value

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the propagation uncertainty of a calculated quantity using a simulation program and measured values, but without knowledge of the uncertainties of the measurements. It is suggested to use half of the least significant digit for each value, taking into account the amount of significant digits in each measurement. The program shows a mass of 1x10^15 kg, which may need to be clarified with the professor.
leright
I need to determine the propagation uncertainty of a calculated quantity (function of the variables mass, acceleration due to gravity, cap plate separation, and voltage), but I do not know the uncertainties of these measurements. I just know the values. What should I take the uncertainty to be? Should I just say +/- 0.5 or +/1 0.1 of the least significant digit? I missed the lab so I didn't actually perform the measurements, and the prof gave me this simulation program of the lab, but the simulation program says nothing about the uncertainties of the measurements.

I am calculating charge from the following equation.

q = (mgd)/v

Examples of the values for the measured data are as follows...

m = 1.x10x-15 kg
v = 125 V
d = 0.01 m
g = 9.81 m/s^2

What should I take the uncertainties to be??

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? this is somewhat urgent.

That is the best you can do in such a circumstance - half of the least significant digit for each of the values - also for the gravitational acceleration. Just make sure about the amount of significant digits in each of the measurements because that will determine the magnitude of the uncertainty. Like your mass - a larger uncertainty will result from 1x10^-15 kg than from 1.0X10^-15 kg.

andrevdh said:
That is the best you can do in such a circumstance - half of the least significant digit for each of the values - also for the gravitational acceleration. Just make sure about the amount of significant digits in each of the measurements because that will determine the magnitude of the uncertainty. Like your mass - a larger uncertainty will result from 1x10^-15 kg than from 1.0X10^-15 kg.

well, the program shows 1x10^15 kg. I dunno. I will ask the prof tommorow I suppose.

Related to What uncertainties should I assume when I only know the measured value

What uncertainties should I assume when I only know the measured value?

1. How accurate is the measured value?
It is important to determine the level of accuracy of the measured value in order to determine the range of possible uncertainties. This can be done by comparing the measured value to a known standard or by repeating the measurement multiple times and calculating the average value.

2. What is the precision of the measured value?
Precision refers to the level of detail or the number of decimal places in a measurement. The more precise the measured value, the smaller the potential uncertainty. However, it is also important to consider the accuracy of the measurement in addition to precision.

3. Are there any potential sources of error in the measurement?
Uncertainties can arise due to various factors such as equipment limitations, human error, or external environmental factors. It is important to identify and minimize these potential sources of error in order to reduce uncertainties in the measured value.

4. How can I calculate the uncertainties?
There are various methods for calculating uncertainties, such as using statistical analysis, error propagation, or calibration curves. The appropriate method depends on the type of measurement and the available data. It is important to carefully consider the best approach for calculating uncertainties in order to obtain accurate results.

5. How can I communicate uncertainties in my results?
When reporting results, it is important to also include the associated uncertainties. This can be done by stating the range of possible values or by using error bars in graphs. It is important to clearly communicate the uncertainties to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.