What Unit Results from Dividing Joules per Kilogram by Meters?

• I
  • Thread starter Timothy Schablin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the gravity on planet X using the equation Vg = gy and the rearrangement of f=ma to determine the units equal to N/kg. The conclusion was that the gravity on that planet is 2 m/s, but the answer should be in N/kg. The conversation also questioned what a Newton is in terms of kg, m, and s.
Timothy Schablin
What unit would i end up with if i divide 1 Joules/kg by .5 meters?

Would it be N/kg?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a Newton in terms of kg, m and s?

ya. N/kg doesn't sound right. Its for finding the gravity on planet X. If the object has 1 J/kg of gravitational potential at .5 meters from the surface, what is the gravity on that planet?

So Vg = gy so g = V/y. So, 1/.5 = 2

The gravity on that planet is 2 m/s? But they want the answer in N/kg, but that doesn't sound right.

Re-arrange f=ma and what units do you get that equal N/kg?

Let me ask again. What is a Newton in terms of kg, m and s?

FAQ: What Unit Results from Dividing Joules per Kilogram by Meters?

1. What does "J/kg by m" mean?

"J/kg by m" is a unit that represents energy per unit mass per unit distance. It is commonly used in the field of physics to measure energy density or specific energy.

2. How is "J/kg by m" related to other units of energy?

"J/kg by m" is a derived unit, meaning it is a combination of other base units. Specifically, it is equivalent to the unit joules per kilogram per meter (J/kg·m), which is the SI unit for energy density.

3. What types of calculations involve "J/kg by m"?

"J/kg by m" can be used in a variety of calculations related to energy, such as calculating the energy required to move a certain mass a certain distance, or the energy density of a material.

4. Can "J/kg by m" be converted to other units?

Yes, "J/kg by m" can be converted to other units of energy, such as joules (J) or calories (cal). The conversion factor will depend on the specific unit you are converting to.

5. Where is "J/kg by m" commonly used in scientific research?

"J/kg by m" is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science. It is often used to measure and compare the energy efficiency of different materials and processes.

Back