What upper division courses should I take for my Electrical Engineering degree?

• Courses
  • Thread starter SamAca1-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's question about what upper division courses to take as an Electrical Engineering major at a U.S. Service Academy. The student is guaranteed a job after graduation for at least 5 years, but is unsure if their undergrad courses will matter. They mention taking more programming and networking classes, but also consider courses like linear algebra, electromagnetics, communications, and electrical power engineering. The student also expresses interest in attending flight school and becoming a pilot. The response advises the student to consider their career goals and mentions that the mentioned courses are important for specific fields within EE. Ultimately, if the student's career path does not rely on their EE expertise, their undergrad courses may not matter.
SamAca1-
I go to a U.S. Service Academy and am currently majoring in Electrical Engineering. As such, I'm not too worried about having a job after graduation because I'm guaranteed a job for at least 5 years. My question is what upper division courses I should take? Does it really matter what I take in undergrad? I'm definitely taking some more programming and networking classes but am wondering if it's worth taking courses like linear algebra, electromagnetics, communications, or electrical power engineering. I struggled with my signals and systems course and am a bit worried about future courses like that.

Thanks! Will my undergrad courses matter as long as I graduate with an EE degree?

I'm also hoping to go to flight school and become a pilot as well. Would love to spend a tour as a test pilot. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself what you want to do! All the classes you mention are important if you intend to work as an EE in the fields of circuit design, RF, communications, power, etc. If you want to work in internet protocols, on the other hand, then your present direction is a good one. If you are headed to a career as a pilot or other field where you aren't relying on your EE expertise to make a living, then it doesn't matter what you do. (I bet you knew that already!)

Related to What upper division courses should I take for my Electrical Engineering degree?

1. How do I determine which courses to take?

The first step in deciding which courses to take is to identify your academic and career goals. Consider the requirements for your major or desired career path, as well as any personal interests or skills you want to develop.

2. Should I take courses based on difficulty or interest?

It is important to strike a balance between taking courses that challenge you and courses that you are genuinely interested in. This will help you stay motivated and engaged in your studies.

3. How many courses should I take per semester?

This depends on your personal workload and time management abilities. It is generally recommended to take 12-15 credit hours per semester, but ultimately it is up to you to determine what workload you can handle.

4. What resources can I use to help me decide on courses?

Your academic advisor is a valuable resource for course selection. They can help you create a plan that aligns with your goals and provide insight on specific courses. You can also look at course catalogs and talk to peers who have taken the courses you are interested in.

5. Can I change my course schedule after it has been finalized?

In most cases, yes. Many universities have a period of time at the beginning of the semester known as add/drop where you can make changes to your schedule without penalty. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to ensure you are still on track to meet your goals.