What value should be used for junction CA in the Hardy Cross method?

In summary, the Hardy Cross method is an iterative technique used in structural engineering to analyze and solve indeterminate structures. It involves dividing the structure into smaller parts and analyzing each part separately using equilibrium equations. Some potential troubles with the method include convergence issues and singularity. To address convergence issues, it is important to make reasonable initial guesses and use a small convergence criterion. The method is still commonly used in structural engineering, but has been largely replaced by computer programs.
foo9008

Homework Statement

i have a netwrok of pipe as shown in the figure . I'm asked to find the flow rate using HARDY CROSS method . in the second trial of first loop at junction CA , which value should i use ? -15.3 from the corrected in second loop ? or 22.7 from the corrected value in the first loop ?

y6fBQFF.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think we should use 22.7 from the corrected value in the first loop ? am i right ?

Attachments

• DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
bump

FAQ: What value should be used for junction CA in the Hardy Cross method?

1. What is the Hardy Cross method?

The Hardy Cross method is an iterative technique used in structural engineering to analyze and solve indeterminate structures, which are structures with more unknown forces than the number of available equilibrium equations.

2. How does the Hardy Cross method work?

The method involves dividing the structure into smaller parts and analyzing each part separately using equilibrium equations. The unknown forces are then adjusted in an iterative process until equilibrium is achieved for each part and the entire structure.

3. What are some potential troubles with the Hardy Cross method?

Some potential troubles with the method include convergence issues, which can occur if the initial guesses for the unknown forces are too far from the correct values, and singularity, which can occur if some of the equilibrium equations are dependent on each other.

4. How can convergence issues be addressed when using the Hardy Cross method?

To address convergence issues, it is important to make reasonable initial guesses for the unknown forces and to use a small enough convergence criterion, which determines how close the calculated values must be to the correct values in order to be considered converged.

5. Is the Hardy Cross method still used today?

Yes, the Hardy Cross method is still commonly used in structural engineering, although it has been largely replaced by computer programs that can quickly and accurately solve indeterminate structures. However, the method is still useful for understanding the underlying principles and assumptions used in structural analysis.

Back