What Values of k Lead to an Inconsistent System?

• Thread starter noelo2014
  • Start date
In summary, the "Matrix/Inconsistency Problem" is a common issue in scientific research where there is a discrepancy between experimental results and theoretical predictions. It can significantly impact the progress of a field and hinder the ability to replicate studies. Strategies for addressing this problem include conducting further experiments, refining techniques, and collaborating with others. While it cannot be completely eliminated, scientists can take steps to reduce its impact and improve the reliability of research findings.
noelo2014

Homework Statement

Determine the value(s) of k for which the system

-2 1 -1 x 1
4 2 k . y = -4
k -1 1 z 2

(please excuse my formatting)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On my first attempt I tried making an augmented matrix and row-reducing it, but it started to get really hairy and taking too long, (this is an exam question), so I figured there must be an easier
way of solving it.

One thing I noticed is that if I set k=2 then the first and third rows of the matrix are multiples of each other (r1=-r3), however the corresponding values in the result vector aren't, this would lead me to suspect that k=2 gives me an inconsistent system.

IF I set k=-2 I notice the 2nd and 3rd rows are scalar multiples of each other (including the result). So I guess this is a case of linear dependence somewhere. In other words if I row-reduced the augmented matrix I'd have a row of zeros and case of one of the x/y/z being a multiple of another.

Then I guess that leaves all other values of k to mean 1 solution

Am I approaching this correctly? Have I just solved this? I have a test on Thursday and I'd appreciate any help or tips for looking at matrices and finding clues and short-cuts to solving them.

If there's any experts on Linear Algebra reading, how would you approach this question? I'd love to know

Regards
Noel

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually I find it easiest to first row reduce the augmented matrix to RREF.

You can then determine the linear dependence by testing values of ##k## as it will be clear to see which values cause an inconsistent system.

If the matrix is nonsingular, can the equations have no solution?
If it is singular, what equation can you obtain for k? How many solutions might that have?

noelo2014 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the value(s) of k for which the system

-2 1 -1 x 1
4 2 k . y = -4
k -1 1 z 2

(please excuse my formatting)
We have MathJax at this site. Note how nice this looks:
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} -2 & 1 & -1 \\ 4 & 2 & k \\ k & -1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ -4 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

On my first attempt I tried making an augmented matrix and row-reducing it, but it started to get really hairy and taking too long, (this is an exam question), so I figured there must be an easier
way of solving it.

One thing I noticed is that if I set k=2 then the first and third rows of the matrix are multiples of each other (r1=-r3), however the corresponding values in the result vector aren't, this would lead me to suspect that k=2 gives me an inconsistent system.

IF I set k=-2 I notice the 2nd and 3rd rows are scalar multiples of each other (including the result). So I guess this is a case of linear dependence somewhere. In other words if I row-reduced the augmented matrix I'd have a row of zeros and case of one of the x/y/z being a multiple of another.

Then I guess that leaves all other values of k to mean 1 solution
What led you to those two particular numbers, and to the final statement? Everything is correct, but your writing makes it appear you are guessing rather than knowing.This is a 3x3 matrix, so it's not that hard to compute the determinant by hand. You should get ##k^2-4##. This means the only suspect values are -2 and 2. Everything other value of k yields a non-zero determinant, which in turn means the matrix is invertible. What does that mean?

That k=2 means the first and third rows are multiples of one another but the corresponding results are not should not lead you to suspect that k=2 is inconsistent. It tells you that k=2 is inconsistent. No guessing involved!

That k=-2 means the second and third rows are multiples of one another, including the values, means you can toss one of those rows. Is the first row linearly independent of the third (or second)? If so, this is an under-specified system rather than an inconsistent system.

Likes 1 person
D H said:
We have MathJax at this site. Note how nice this looks:
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} -2 & 1 & -1 \\ 4 & 2 & k \\ k & -1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ -4 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That k=2 means the first and third rows are multiples of one another but the corresponding results are not should not lead you to suspect that k=2 is inconsistent. It tells you that k=2 is inconsistent. No guessing involved!
Thank you,Well it all comes with experience.
And what exactly do you mean by an under-specified system? Is this a system with free variable(s)? Also when the det is equal to zero does this always mean either no solutions or infinite solutions but never 1 solution?

noelo2014 said:
And what exactly do you mean by an under-specified system? Is this a system with free variable(s)?
Yes. Instead of one solution there will be a subspace of solutions.
Also when the det is equal to zero does this always mean either no solutions or infinite solutions but never 1 solution?
Yes. If the det is zero then it means the LHS of one or more equations can be constructed as a linear combination of the others.
If the same linear combination also generates the corresponding values on the RHS then those equations are redundant. If throwing them away means you now have fewer equations than variables the system is underspecified.
But if the linear combination does not generate the corresponding values on the RHS then the equations conflict, so no solutions.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: What Values of k Lead to an Inconsistent System?

1. What is the "Matrix/Inconsistency Problem"?

The Matrix/Inconsistency Problem refers to a common issue in scientific research where there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between experimental results and theoretical predictions. This can occur due to errors in data collection, flawed assumptions, or limitations in the current understanding of a phenomenon.

2. How does the "Matrix/Inconsistency Problem" impact scientific research?

The Matrix/Inconsistency Problem can significantly impact scientific research as it can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the progress of a field. It can also create confusion and hinder the ability to replicate studies, which is a crucial aspect of the scientific method.

3. What are some strategies for addressing the "Matrix/Inconsistency Problem"?

There are several strategies that can be used to address the Matrix/Inconsistency Problem, including conducting further experiments to confirm or refute the results, refining and improving experimental techniques, and re-evaluating assumptions and theories. Collaborating with other researchers and seeking feedback from peers can also help in identifying and addressing the issue.

4. How can scientists prevent the "Matrix/Inconsistency Problem" from occurring?

While the Matrix/Inconsistency Problem is a common issue in scientific research, there are steps that scientists can take to prevent it from occurring. These include carefully designing experiments, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing data, and being aware of potential sources of error. It is also important to communicate findings and limitations clearly and transparently in research publications.

5. Can the "Matrix/Inconsistency Problem" ever be completely eliminated?

Unfortunately, the Matrix/Inconsistency Problem cannot be completely eliminated as it is an inherent part of the scientific process. However, by continuously striving for accuracy and transparency in research, scientists can reduce its impact and improve the overall reliability of scientific findings.