What Variables are Zero in Different Thermodynamic Conditions?

In summary: They mention wanting to find the values of heat, work, deltaU, and deltaH, and explain that they have already tried to solve for these values but ended up with all 0s. They are seeking a list to understand how these equations are affected by different conditions and processes. In summary, Tyrasia is looking for a list of variable values that are 0 under specific initial conditions for various processes, in order to solve for heat, work, deltaU, and deltaH.
tyrasia
Hello Everyone,

Is there a list online somewhere of which variable values are 0 and why (conceptually), based on initial conditions? Like I know that for a system at constant volume, w=0. I am looking for a list for the other effects like isothermal, adiabatic, what does pressure= if there is expansion in a vacuum (0?), isobaric, and such things like that. Thanks in advance!

Tyrasia

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question, more detail is better. What are the initial conditions? Presumably you are trying to solve some differential equation?

The example doesn't help me understand because "w" could be anything.

I am trying to find a list of what happens to the equations under conditions like, constant volume means work, or technically dw is 0. I know the equations (sorta) but don't know which terms will go to 0 under conditions likeisothermal expansion, expansion into a vacume, heating at constant pressure, adiabatic compression etc. when trying to find the values of q(heat),w(work),deltaU and deltaH given Volume and Temperature expanding in a vacume, for example, I got all 0s which I know is wrong. So I am looking for a list that can show me how the equations are affected by these conditions, or processes. Then I can figure out those 4 variables for a process which involves severel different processes sequential to each other.

Tyr

Related to What Variables are Zero in Different Thermodynamic Conditions?

1. What is a "List for Initial Conditions"?

A "List for Initial Conditions" is a list of variables or conditions that are set at the beginning of a scientific experiment or simulation. These variables will be used as a starting point for the experiment and will help determine the outcome.

2. Why is it important to create a "List for Initial Conditions"?

Creating a "List for Initial Conditions" is important because it allows scientists to control the starting point of their experiment and ensure that all variables are accounted for. This helps to ensure accuracy and reproducibility of the results.

3. How do I determine which variables to include in my "List for Initial Conditions"?

The variables included in a "List for Initial Conditions" will depend on the specific experiment or simulation being conducted. Scientists should consider all relevant factors and choose variables that have the greatest impact on the outcome of the experiment.

4. Can the "List for Initial Conditions" be changed during the experiment?

In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust initial conditions during an experiment. However, it is important to carefully document any changes made and consider how they may affect the results.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy of my "List for Initial Conditions"?

To ensure the accuracy of a "List for Initial Conditions", it is important to carefully review all variables and double check any calculations or measurements. It may also be helpful to have another scientist review the list for any potential errors or oversights.

Back