What was it like to be a Field Artillery Gunner during the 60s?

• Thread starter Brocklion
  • Start date
In summary, being a Field Artillery Gunner during the 60s was a physically and mentally demanding job that required a high level of skill and precision. Gunners were responsible for operating and maintaining large artillery guns, often in dangerous and unpredictable conditions. They underwent extensive training and worked closely with their fellow soldiers to effectively deliver firepower in support of ground troops. The job also had its share of challenges, including long hours, harsh weather conditions, and the constant threat of enemy fire. Despite these difficulties, many gunners found pride and fulfillment in their role as key players in the United States military's efforts during the turbulent 1960s.
Brocklion
How did you find PF?
I found physicsforums when I was curious about what has happened with 8 inch howitzers over the years. I read the many remarks and decided to mentioned that noone considered a very important consideration.
Ages ago, the 60s, I was a Field Artillery Gunner on 8inch howitzers with a side function involving nuclear weapons. That is how I found this forum.

All that aside, I later got a PhD in Computer Science and worked in Computer software, databases and GPS, until I retired. I'd be happy to answer questions but I won't do anyone's homework. Along the way I got my name on three patents.

Likes berkeman and M Saad
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome:!

Good to have you here! Stay curious!