What was most helpful understanding Signals and Systems?

In summary: Spend time understanding concepts in time and frequency domains, probably you need to be good at this, if you want to understand transforms.
Woa90210
Hey guys! This is my first day on the forum so, hey! I'm a third year electrical engineering student and I'm really having some trouble with Signals and Systems so I want to know what helped other people understand it so that maybe I could try some of their methods.

What were your biggest conceptual hurdles and what helped you get over them? What tools or methods help you understand S&S more holistically and what just made it easier to do?

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Operational mathematics... otherwise known as transform calculus (FFT, Laplace etc...)

Hello, welcome to forum.

Your question is rather broad, just what part of the course are you having difficulty with? Are you decent using linear algebra, it's generally pretty important for the subject. Other than that, some specific questions would help garner more replies I reckon.

As far as tools, a lot of students will use Matlab for their S&S courses. So becoming familiar with the signal processing and communications toolboxes and general Matlab syntax can be helpful.

Student100 said:
Hello, welcome to forum.

Your question is rather broad, just what part of the course are you having difficulty with? Are you decent using linear algebra, it's generally pretty important for the subject. Other than that, some specific questions would help garner more replies I reckon.

As far as tools, a lot of students will use Matlab for their S&S courses. So becoming familiar with the signal processing and communications toolboxes and general Matlab syntax can be helpful.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I suppose the types of concepts that I'm having the most trouble grasping are the most fundamental ones such as what is an LTI vs LTV System? Also BIBO stability is one that I've had a hard time grasping. I will try to become more familiar with Matlab, hopefully that will assist in a more in depth comprehension of some of these concepts. Thanks!

Dr Transport said:
Operational mathematics... otherwise known as transform calculus (FFT, Laplace etc...)

Honestly FFT and Laplace transformations are pretty simple to me. I think the I just have a hard time grasping what these transforms translate to in practical application (e.g filter/signal types)

Hello Woa90210, welcome to PF. Third year here. I survived S&S...:oldbiggrin:
Well yes, If you are really bent on completely understanding S&S practically in third year, you need a decent dose of intuition! :DD
Nothing much, learn Matlab well, it's a boon for S&S students like you.
You need to be imaginative enough, and understand the application of mathematics you have learned till date.
Whenever you feel stuck, try putting that scenario on a system you are already familiar.
Then relate the math that comes out of it with the real time output.
Spend time understanding concepts in time and frequency domains, probably you need to be good at this, if you want to understand transforms.

PhysicoRaj said:
Hello Woa90210, welcome to PF. Third year here. I survived S&S...:oldbiggrin:
Well yes, If you are really bent on completely understanding S&S practically in third year, you need a decent dose of intuition! :DD
Nothing much, learn Matlab well, it's a boon for S&S students like you.
You need to be imaginative enough, and understand the application of mathematics you have learned till date.
Whenever you feel stuck, try putting that scenario on a system you are already familiar.
Then relate the math that comes out of it with the real time output.
Spend time understanding concepts in time and frequency domains, probably you need to be good at this, if you want to understand transforms.

Thanks soooo much PhisicoRaj! This is more so what I was looking for :) Thanks a ton. Gonna spend some more time in the beginning chapters of my S&S book and more time with MATLAB. Thanks again!

Likes PhysicoRaj
Hey Woa90210.

If you understand what the basis of these transforms represent and put them in context then it should be a lot easier to interpret how the space organizes information and what the coefficients of each space represent.

This is for any sort of harmonic analysis space/transform (Fourier, Laplace, Wavelets, etc).

What is happening is you are projecting information to a basis, doing something in a new space and then often reconstructing the new information.

Many spaces deal with certain kinds of "frequencies" but there are many kinds of spaces that signals can be projected to with all interesting properties.

Likes PhysicoRaj

Related to What was most helpful understanding Signals and Systems?

What is Signals and Systems?

Signals and Systems is a branch of engineering and mathematics that deals with the study of signals, which are physical quantities that vary with time, and systems, which process these signals to produce some desired output.

Why is Signals and Systems important?

Signals and Systems is important because it provides a framework for analyzing and processing signals in various engineering and scientific fields, such as telecommunications, control systems, and image and signal processing.

What are the key concepts in Signals and Systems?

Some key concepts in Signals and Systems include time-domain and frequency-domain representations of signals, Fourier analysis, convolution, and Laplace transforms.

What tools and techniques are used in Signals and Systems?

In Signals and Systems, various mathematical and analytical tools are used, such as differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. Additionally, software tools like MATLAB are commonly used for simulation and analysis.

How can understanding Signals and Systems benefit my career as a scientist?

A strong understanding of Signals and Systems can benefit your career as a scientist by providing you with the necessary skills to analyze and interpret data, design and optimize systems, and develop innovative solutions to complex problems in various fields of science and engineering.