WHat was Shakespeares approx working vocabulary

• Thread starter tomisatschool
  • Start date
In summary, Shakespeare used approximately 25,000 unique words in all of his works, with some of them being hapax legomena, or words that only appear once. He often made up words to fit into the meter of his plays, and some of these words have been cited in dictionaries as being first used in his works. It may be possible to tabulate the specific number of unique words in each play, though this would be a tedious task. Shakespeare's other surviving works besides plays and sonnets include poems and various writings.
tomisatschool
(that is, the approx average amount of words he would use from play to play) and also (my main question) did that amount vary much from play to play to sonnet.I realize that coming up with a specific number of uniqe words for anyone play (and then comparing to other works) could be done (very monotonous job though) but I am hoping someone has done this sort of counting/calculating before. I noticed he invents a lot of words to make them fit into the meter, but does he use these same words in other plays?
If you don't think this has been done, then do you have any ideas how i could tabulate this (even if you think its rather pointless)? (use excel or something) .. i don't write software so I am sort of limited in what tools i could use, but I am thinking that excel would do the job, no? any ideas?

Also did shakespeare write anything else (that is still around) besides plays and sonnets?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shakespeare had quite a few hapax legomena in his works. He used a lot of the same words from play to play, but you would sporadically encounter new words. Some of them he made up. If you look up some of the words in his plays, the dictionary will cite that specific play as the source of that word, as if that's the only place it appears.
I have a Shakespeare dictionary that basically has every word he used, and the meaning of it depends on what play it was used in.

I don't know if I was any help, I just wanted to use "hapax legomena" in a sentence.

My factoid contribution to this is that in all his works Shakespeare used about 25000 distinct words. off to Wikipedia to see what hapax legomena is.

Last edited:

I am interested in providing an evidence-based response to your questions. While there is no specific number or estimated average for Shakespeare's working vocabulary, scholars have attempted to count and analyze his unique words in his plays and sonnets. One study by David Crystal found that Shakespeare used around 17,000 different words throughout his works, with a range of approximately 16,000-29,000 unique words per play. This number does not include the many variations and forms of words that Shakespeare used, as well as the invented words you mentioned.

It is difficult to determine if the number of unique words varied significantly from play to play, as it also depends on factors such as the length and genre of the play. However, it is safe to say that Shakespeare had a vast and varied vocabulary that he used in his works.

In terms of tabulating this information, using Excel or a similar program would be a good starting point. You could create a spreadsheet with each play or sonnet listed and then count the unique words as you go through each one. This may be a time-consuming task, but it would provide you with valuable data.

In addition to plays and sonnets, Shakespeare also wrote longer poems such as Venus and Adonis and The Rape of Lucrece, as well as shorter poems and songs in his plays. He also wrote collaborative works with other playwrights, such as The Two Noble Kinsmen and Pericles, Prince of Tyre. However, his plays and sonnets remain his most well-known and studied works.

I hope this information helps in your research. I encourage you to approach this project with a critical and analytical mindset, and to consider the limitations and biases that may come with counting and analyzing Shakespeare's vocabulary. Best of luck with your project.

FAQ: WHat was Shakespeares approx working vocabulary

1. What was Shakespeare's working vocabulary?

Shakespeare's working vocabulary is estimated to be around 20,000 words.

2. How does Shakespeare's vocabulary compare to modern writers?

Shakespeare's vocabulary is much larger than most modern writers, with some estimates being as high as 30,000-35,000 words.

3. Did Shakespeare invent any new words?

Yes, Shakespeare is credited with inventing or popularizing over 1,700 words in the English language, including "eyeball," "bedroom," and "eyewitness."

4. How did Shakespeare learn such a vast vocabulary?

Shakespeare was well-educated and had access to a variety of sources, including classical literature, which he drew from to expand his vocabulary.

5. Did Shakespeare use all of his vocabulary in his plays?

No, although Shakespeare had a large vocabulary, he did not use all of it in his plays. Some words were used more frequently than others, and he also used repetition and variation to create rhythm and effect in his writing.