What Was the Velocity of the Football Thrown by the Quarterback?

• Thread starter Physuph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem involves a quarterback throwing a football with an initial velocity at an angle of 30 degrees to a receiver running at a constant velocity of 8.0 m/s. The goal is to find the velocity with which the ball was thrown. Using the equations provided, the solution involves finding the time it takes for the receiver to catch the ball first, and then using that value to solve for the initial velocity. This may require using component vectors and the Pythagorean theorem.
Physuph

Homework Statement

"A quarterback standing at his own 10.0 yard line throws the football to a receiver at the moment the receiver crosses the (nearer) 30.0 yard line. Knowing that the receiver runs with a velocity of 8.0 m/s, and the quarterback threw the football at an angle of 30 degrees, and that the pass was complete, what was the velocity with which the ball was thrown? (1yard= .01m).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew myself a diagram..
delta x = Vox *t= (30-10)*t + 8.0*t
T=2Vo sin 30deg / 9.8 = Vo/9.8

I don't know if i have to get into component vectors, and use pythagorean theorem, or what not. I have no clue how to solve this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'd say you'd have to find out the amount of time it takes the reciever to catch the ball first.

Sirsh said:
Well, I'd say you'd have to find out the amount of time it takes the reciever to catch the ball first.

I've tried doing that. I just ended up with a bunch of equations with t and Vo and I when I put them together I just go in circles.

FAQ: What Was the Velocity of the Football Thrown by the Quarterback?

1. How important is a quarterback's pass velocity?

The velocity of a quarterback's pass is crucial for the success of their team. A faster pass allows for a shorter reaction time for the receiver and makes it more difficult for the defense to intercept or deflect the pass.

2. What factors affect a quarterback's pass velocity?

There are several factors that can affect a quarterback's pass velocity, including their arm strength, technique, footwork, and the type of throw they are making (e.g. short pass, deep pass). The condition of the football and weather conditions can also play a role.

3. How can a quarterback improve their pass velocity?

A quarterback can improve their pass velocity through strength training exercises that focus on the muscles used in throwing, such as the shoulders, arms, and core. They can also work on their technique and footwork to generate more power and speed in their throws.

4. Can a quarterback's pass velocity be measured?

Yes, a quarterback's pass velocity can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a radar gun or a device that attaches to the football. These measurements are often used in training and scouting to assess a quarterback's performance.

5. Is pass velocity the most important factor in a quarterback's success?

While a quarterback's pass velocity is important, it is not the only factor that determines their success. Other factors such as accuracy, decision-making, and leadership skills also play a crucial role in a quarterback's performance and overall success on the field.

Back