What Wavelengths of Light are Used in Young's Double Slit Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula Δy = λL/d to calculate fringe separation for red and blue light. The individual is confused about which wavelength to use in the equation and asks for clarification. It is suggested to use λ = 650 nm for red and 475 nm for blue. The conversation also touches upon the importance of using standard symbols and definitions in equations.
5ymmetrica1

Homework Statement

using the formula Δy = λL/ d calculate the fringe separation (d) for the red and blue light used in the experiment

Homework Equations

as above

The Attempt at a Solution

So I rearranged the equation to read

d = λL / Δy

and I'm fine with the math, but I don't understand what wavelength to use, as the following question is.
Using (d) found in the previous question, find the wavelength of the red and blue light used in the experiment.

So say I have
Δy = 5.00 x 10-4m
L = 0.25 m

The equations would be

d = 0.25λ / 5.00 x 10-4

am I supposed to use a separate equation for this formula or do I just use an approximate length of red light such as 450nm?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you have the terms in the equation confused.
Δy is the fringe separation. d is the distance between the slits (the slit separation)

technician said:
I think that you have the terms in the equation confused.
Δy is the fringe separation. d is the distance between the slits (the slit separation)

Does it matter?

rude man said:
Does it matter?

Only that the equation Δy = λL/d is the more or less standard equation to calculate fringe separation Δy.
Of course you can use any 4 symbols you like and give your own definition of each symbol. That would probably cause some confusion but you would probably get the correct answer.
There must be a good reason why Δy is commonly taken to be a separation between the fringes rather than the distance between the slits.
d is usually taken to be the distance between the slits, as it also is in analysing diffraction gratings.
Keep life (in physics) as simple and conventional as possible. But you are perfectly correct...does it matter.

Related to What Wavelengths of Light are Used in Young's Double Slit Experiment?

What is Young's double slit experiment?

Young's double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What does the double slit experiment demonstrate?

The double slit experiment demonstrates the wave-like nature of light by showing that light can interfere with itself and create an interference pattern, similar to how waves on water interfere with each other.

How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is often used to illustrate the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality of light. It also highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, as the interference pattern is created by the probabilistic behavior of individual photons.

What are some variations of the double slit experiment?

There are several variations of the double slit experiment, including using different types of light sources (such as lasers or single photons), changing the distance between the slits and the screen, and using materials with different properties for the slits.

What real-world applications does the double slit experiment have?

The double slit experiment has real-world applications in fields such as optics, quantum computing, and even biology. It has also been used to test the validity of various theories and models in physics, such as the wave theory of light and the principles of quantum mechanics.