What Went Wrong with Solving a Simple Inequality?

In summary, the given inequality 3\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x+3}>1 can be solved by first rearranging and squaring both sides to get 9x>1+x+3+2\sqrt{x+3}. However, before squaring again, it is important to investigate the equation. If 4x-2>0, then the solution set is valid, but if 4x-2<0, then the solution set contains redundant roots. In this case, since the square root is defined as a non-negative number, 4x-2<0 is not possible and therefore x must be greater than 0.5.
Saitama

Homework Statement

[tex]3\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x+3}>1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As obvious from the given inequality, x must be greater than zero.
Rearranging and squaring both the sides,
[tex]9x>1+x+3+2\sqrt{x+3} \Rightarrow 4x-2>\sqrt{x+3}[/tex]
Squaring again,
[tex]16x^2+4-16x>x+3 \Rightarrow 16x^2-17x+1>0 \Rightarrow (x-1/16)(x-1)>0[/tex]
Hence, ##x \in (0,1/16) \cup (1,\infty)## but this is wrong. The correct answer is ##(1,\infty)##. I don't see what I did wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Squaring again,
[tex]16x^2+4-16x>x+3 \Rightarrow 16x^2-17x+1>0 \Rightarrow (x-1/16)(x-1)>0[/tex]
Hence, ##x \in (0,1/16) \cup (1,\infty)## but this is wrong. The correct answer is ##(1,\infty)##. I don't see what I did wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This is a "classic" elementary mistake in algebra. When you square (or more generally, take even powers) of equations, you often introduce "redundant roots". These roots solve the final form you get, but are not solutions to the original equation. The basic reason is that the square of both ##a## and ##-a## give you the same value ##a^2##.

Try putting ##x = \frac{1}{16}## in the original LHS and see what the expression evaluates to. Do you see what's going on?

In the future, when you square equations to solve them (if it's unavoidable, as in this case), always go back and test your solution set using the original equation. Discard solutions that don't satisfy the original equation.

Curious3141 said:
This is a "classic" elementary mistake in algebra. When you square (or more generally, take even powers) of equations, you often introduce "redundant roots". These roots solve the final form you get, but are not solutions to the original equation.

Try the value 1/16 in the original LHS and see what RHS becomes. Do you see what's going on?

I understand what you say but is it possible to be able to point out the redundant interval immediately? I mean, in this case, I had to substitute 1/16 and found that it did not satisfy the inequality. How should I go about selecting the "redundant" roots?

Pranav-Arora said:
I understand what you say but is it possible to be able to point out the redundant interval immediately? I mean, in this case, I had to substitute 1/16 and found that it did not satisfy the inequality. How should I go about selecting the "redundant" roots?

Generally, you test the solutions at the end and decide which to accept. I'm not familiar with any simpler method.

Likes 1 person
Curious3141 said:
Generally, you test the solutions at the end and decide which to accept. I'm not familiar with any simpler method.

Thanks! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks! :smile:

Sure, and thanks for the thanks!:wink:

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Before "squaring again", you have to investigate the equation. If 4x-2>0, you can proceed. But 4x-2<0 is not possible, as the square root is defined as non-negative number. A negative number can not be greater than a non-negative one. Therefore x must be greater then 0.5.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Before "squaring again", you have to investigate the equation. If 4x-2>0, you can proceed. But 4x-2<0 is not possible, as the square root is defined as non-negative number. A negative number can not be greater than a non-negative one. Therefore x must be greater then 0.5.

ehild
Nice catch ehild, thank you! :smile:

Related to What Went Wrong with Solving a Simple Inequality?

1. What is an elementary inequality problem?

An elementary inequality problem is a mathematical question that involves comparing two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. These symbols represent "less than", "greater than", "less than or equal to", and "greater than or equal to", respectively.

2. How do you solve an elementary inequality problem?

To solve an elementary inequality problem, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. You can do this by using inverse operations, such as adding or subtracting the same number on both sides, or multiplying or dividing by the same positive number on both sides. Remember to switch the direction of the inequality sign if you multiply or divide by a negative number.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an elementary inequality problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to switch the direction of the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. Another mistake is not following the correct order of operations, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are shown clearly.

4. Are there any special cases in solving elementary inequality problems?

Yes, there are two special cases to be aware of. The first is when the inequality sign is ≥ or ≤ and the variable is being multiplied or divided by a negative number. In this case, you need to reverse the inequality sign. The second case is when the inequality sign is < or > and the variable is being multiplied or divided by a negative number. In this case, the inequality sign stays the same, but you need to switch the order of the terms.

5. How do I know if my solution to an elementary inequality problem is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original inequality and seeing if it makes the statement true. You can also graph the solution on a number line and make sure it satisfies the original inequality. Additionally, you can use a calculator to plug in values for the variable and see if they satisfy the inequality.