What Were the Two Bright Yellow Lights in the Sky on July 10th?

In summary, the speaker saw two very bright yellow lights in the sky, which were likely planets due to their size and brightness. They were seen while the speaker was going to the bathroom at 3:30AM on July 10th. The speaker attempted to get a better look using binoculars, but ended up hurting their eyes. The speaker suggests using the Stellarium program to identify the objects, and the article the speaker references confirms that the objects were most likely Jupiter and Venus. The picture in the article closely resembles what the speaker saw.
Aero51
I am by no means an astronomer and have no experience whatsoever with astronomy. On the night of July 9th (well it was really 3:30AM on July 10th) I was going to the bathroom and I noticed two very bright yellow lights out in the sky (one slightly brighter than the other). They were easily 20x brighter than the 2nd brightest star in the sky, so much so that I could capture them clearly with my Droid RAZR cell phone camera. I am guessing that these were planets because they were quite large. In addition I tried to get a better look with a pain of high powered binoculars only to hurt my eyes a bit.

To give you an idea of my location I have coordinates and the direction I was facing.

41.7003° N, 73.9214° W, looking Eastward.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Aero51, I suggest you can find the objects (planets, I'm fairly sure) that you saw if you download the Stellarium free program. Once you download it, you simply input your coordinates. Then you can see your skies in real time!

http://www.stellarium.org/

The only possible things I can think of that they could be are Jupiter and Venus. Both rise in the East early in the morning this time of the year, Jupiter at about 1:30 am and Venus at about 2:10 am, and both are brighter than -2 magnitude, which is several times brighter than Vega which is dimmer with 0.03 magnitude. (Lower numbers are brighter)

Awsome russ, the picture posted in the article is nearly identical to what I saw, thanks.

Related to What Were the Two Bright Yellow Lights in the Sky on July 10th?

What is the significance of observing July 10th?

The significance of observing July 10th depends on the context. It could be a historical event, a cultural celebration, a scientific observation, or a personal milestone.

What is the history behind July 10th?

July 10th has been observed for various reasons throughout history. It is the day of several significant events, such as the start of the French Revolution and the release of Apple's iPhone. It is also recognized as National Piña Colada Day and National Kitten Day in the United States.

Why is July 10th considered an important date for scientific observations?

July 10th falls in the middle of the year, making it a good time to observe seasonal changes and track long-term trends. It is also close to the summer solstice, making it ideal for astronomical observations.

What are some common ways to observe July 10th as a scientist?

As a scientist, you can observe July 10th by conducting experiments, collecting data, or analyzing existing data related to your field of study. You can also attend conferences, seminars, or workshops that are held on this date to learn about the latest scientific advancements.

How can the observations made on July 10th contribute to scientific knowledge?

The observations made on July 10th can contribute to scientific knowledge by providing new insights, identifying patterns or trends, and helping to develop theories or hypotheses. They can also be used to make predictions and inform future research.

Back