What will be the flow direction?

In summary: Sorry. I got it backwards. in case 1, there will be no flow even though there are more moles in chamber 1.
Ravi Singh choudhary
upload_2016-5-26_19-21-43.png

I guess there would be no flow in case 2; case 3 seems easy to me applying fluid mechanics principle; flow will be 1 to 2. But I doubt case 1; it is not in thermal equilibrium ? Pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
Can heat flow between the two chambers, or are the insulated from one another?

You may assume the system will tend to go to equilibrium. What does that mean for T1 and T2 ? If they don't stay the same, then what does the change in T1 mean for P1 ?

Yeah, heat flow is allowed between chambers;
What you are seeing is just a valve between two chambers.

BvU said:
You may assume the system will tend to go to equilibrium. What does that mean for T1 and T2 ? If they don't stay the same, then what does the change in T1 mean for P1 ?

It doesn't seem practical to me also. So pls answer one that you want to acknowledge.

Ravi Singh choudhary said:
It doesn't seem practical to me also. So pls answer one that you want to acknowledge.
Could you replhrase ? I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Basically I don't answer: I help answering by asking questions. About case 1.

BvU said:
Could you replhrase ? I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Basically I don't answer: I help answering by asking questions. About case 1.

Pressure is equal before; but temperature T1 is more----> They would try to attain the thermal equilibrium. When valve is being opened; I don't know what would happen; simply because I am not able to think; because I don't have numerical values how can I compare the density (say). I could say if there is density variation due to temperature difference simply flow will be from higher density to lower density side.

You have the ideal gas law for guidance.

I could say if there is density variation due to temperature difference simply flow will be from higher density to lower density side.
Is it right approach?

Check out ##p_1V_1 = n_1RT_1## in combination with ##p_2V_2 = n_2RT_2## in combination with ##p_1 = p_2##, ##V_1=V_2## and ##T_1 > T_2##. What about ##n_1'## and ##n_2'## after equilibrium is established ?

Likes gracy
Why can't we apply simple fundamental principle that heat flows from higher temperature to lower temperature?

Last edited:
We do apply that. But to answer the question what that means for the material flow we need a follow-up step.

CASE 1: According to the ideal gas law, how many moles of gas are present in container 1 before the valve is open? How many moles of gas are present in container 2 before the valve is open? Does the total number of moles of gas in the two containers change after the valve is open? In the final equilibrium state, are the temperatures in the two containers (a) the same or (b) different? (If they are the same, then call that T). Does the overall system do any work on the surroundings? Does the overall system exchange any heat with the surroundings? From the first law of thermodynamics, what does that tell you about the change in internal energy of the overall system? From this, what is the final temperature? What is the final pressure? What are the final number of moles of gas present in container 1? How does that compare with the initial number of moles of gas present in container 1?

Likes BvU
Better yet, if the final temperatures, pressures, and volumes are equal, what does that tell you about the final ratio of the number of moles of gas in each container?

That means in all the cases; simply we have to find the ratio of moles of two chamber. Flow direction will be from higher to lower number of moles.

That means in all the cases; simply we have to find the ratio of moles of two chamber. Flow direction will be from higher to lower number of moles.
Not in case 2. In case 2, there will be no flow even though there are more moles in chamber 2.

Chestermiller said:
Not in case 2. In case 2, there will be no flow even though there are more moles in chamber 2.
I think more moles will in chamber 1 in case 2.

I think more moles will in chamber 1 in case 2.
Sorry. I got it backwards.

FAQ: What will be the flow direction?

1. What factors influence the flow direction?

The flow direction of a fluid is influenced by a variety of factors, including gravity, pressure, and the presence of any obstacles or barriers. Other factors such as temperature, viscosity, and fluid density can also play a role.

2. How do you determine the flow direction of a fluid?

The flow direction of a fluid can be determined by observing the movement of particles or by using flow visualization techniques such as dye or smoke tracing. Additionally, mathematical models and simulations can be used to predict flow direction in certain scenarios.

3. Can the flow direction of a fluid change over time?

Yes, the flow direction of a fluid can change over time due to changes in the influencing factors, such as a change in pressure or the addition of an obstacle. In some cases, the flow direction may also change due to external forces or disturbances.

4. How does the flow direction affect the behavior of a fluid?

The flow direction of a fluid can significantly impact its behavior. For example, it can affect the rate of flow, the formation of vortices, and the distribution of pressure within the fluid. The flow direction can also play a role in the transport of particles or pollutants within the fluid.

5. Can the flow direction of a fluid be controlled or manipulated?

In some cases, the flow direction of a fluid can be controlled or manipulated through the use of external forces or mechanisms, such as pumps, valves, or aerodynamic surfaces. However, this is often dependent on the specific properties of the fluid and the surrounding environment.