What will happen to the water level of the swimming pool?

In summary, when the pebble is thrown to the swimming pool, the boat rises and displaces water, based on the boat's weight and the pebble's density.
Now what I understood reading the complete thread. Boat is assumed weightless and stone is of finite density & some finite volume. Now only weight of stone will contribute in displacing certain volume of water. The proportion of density between water and pebble will decide how much volume (multiple of stone's volume) water will be displaced. As the weight of stone will be equal to the weight of displaced water I.e. Archimedes principle. Let's say the density of stone is 1000 times that of water. So when pebble is in the boat it will displace 1000 times more volume compared to the pebble sinking to the bottom of the pool. Because when pebble is sinking it is only displacing its own volume. So level of swimming pool will fall after throwing the pebble.

Likes vanhees71, CWatters, billy_joule and 1 other person
<h2>1. What factors affect the water level of a swimming pool?</h2><p>The water level of a swimming pool can be affected by a variety of factors, including evaporation, splashing, leaks, and the addition or removal of water.</p><h2>2. How do I know if my pool is losing water due to evaporation or a leak?</h2><p>A simple way to determine if your pool is losing water due to evaporation or a leak is to perform a "bucket test." Fill a bucket with pool water and place it on the pool steps or ladder. Mark the water level inside the bucket and the pool water level. Check back in 24 hours - if both water levels have decreased by the same amount, it is likely due to evaporation. If the pool water level has decreased significantly more than the bucket, there may be a leak.</p><h2>3. How can I prevent excessive evaporation in my pool?</h2><p>To prevent excessive evaporation in your pool, you can use a pool cover when the pool is not in use. This will help to reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation.</p><h2>4. Can I add more water to my pool to maintain the water level?</h2><p>Yes, you can add more water to your pool to maintain the water level. However, it is important to regularly check for leaks and address any issues that may be causing the water level to decrease.</p><h2>5. What should I do if I suspect a leak in my pool?</h2><p>If you suspect a leak in your pool, it is important to address it as soon as possible. Contact a professional pool technician to locate and repair the leak to prevent further water loss and potential damage to your pool.</p>

FAQ: What will happen to the water level of the swimming pool?

1. What factors affect the water level of a swimming pool?

The water level of a swimming pool can be affected by a variety of factors, including evaporation, splashing, leaks, and the addition or removal of water.

2. How do I know if my pool is losing water due to evaporation or a leak?

A simple way to determine if your pool is losing water due to evaporation or a leak is to perform a "bucket test." Fill a bucket with pool water and place it on the pool steps or ladder. Mark the water level inside the bucket and the pool water level. Check back in 24 hours - if both water levels have decreased by the same amount, it is likely due to evaporation. If the pool water level has decreased significantly more than the bucket, there may be a leak.

3. How can I prevent excessive evaporation in my pool?

To prevent excessive evaporation in your pool, you can use a pool cover when the pool is not in use. This will help to reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation.

4. Can I add more water to my pool to maintain the water level?

Yes, you can add more water to your pool to maintain the water level. However, it is important to regularly check for leaks and address any issues that may be causing the water level to decrease.

5. What should I do if I suspect a leak in my pool?

If you suspect a leak in your pool, it is important to address it as soon as possible. Contact a professional pool technician to locate and repair the leak to prevent further water loss and potential damage to your pool.