What will happen when we have a Theory of Everything?

• Thread starter Varon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: I mean is that I have spent dozens of hours reading your posts in different threads, and I think what you are saying is that + and - are not operations on states. Instead they are operations on kets. Additionally, in a typical way of using kets to describe spin states, the kets +|z-> and -|z-> both represent the state spin down along the z-axis, but the kets +|z-> and +i|z-> represent different states (spin up along the x-axis and spin up along the y-axis, respectively).
SpectraCat said:
I would only add that the way we know that our theories are good ones is that:

a) they can reproduce the results of known experiments

b) they can successfully predict the results of experiments that have yet to be performed.

Basically, anyone can come up with a theory, but unless that theory can be cast in the form of an experimentally falsifiable hypothesis or hypotheses, then it is of limited value to science. Or perhaps it is better to say that such a theory's value is only a fraction of what it would be if it could be experimentally tested. As I have mentioned to Varon before, that is why I am curious about interpretations of QM, but don't lose any sleep over which one is the best. Once they start making experimentally falsifiable predictions that can distinguish between the "internal pictures" posited by BM or CI or MWI or relational blockworld or whatever, then I will become a lot more interested.

The right interpretation can produce emergence. And the emergence is qualia or what Demystifier called 'subjective conscious experience". Only interpretations that can explain this would be correct and complete, although Demystifier believes it is more related to Special Relativity. But no. think about it. It doesn't make sense because matter (humans) is part of quantum physics. Hence it's more like a complete theory of Quantum Spacetime or quantum gravity that is needed. But there's a possibility physicists won't even arrive at any quantum gravity if they don't include qualia dynamics which can be put in mathematical form and be part of final theory of Quantum Gravity or Spacetime. This is the reason it's of primary importance to investigate interpretations because the right one can produce emergence that can be successfully combined with SR and GR.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
Honestly, it looks somewhere between heavily biased and flat-out wrong.

Something that answers the question "what actually happens in the system" is quite literally what it means for something to be an interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Your question seems to presume there is some prior notion of stuff happening in systems, and you want to reduce quantum mechanics into it. But that's exactly the opposite of how science works -- we use our theories tell us how reality works, rather than use our assumptions about reality to tell our theories how to work.

Yes this is also what bothers me. For example in Einstein Spacetime, the theory tells us how reality works, and we have to conform the definition of time and space to the theory, not what really is indepdendent of the theory. But at least in Spacetime. Space and Time can be easily imagined. But with quantum theory, superposition is not in our everyday experience like space and time so it's hard how to understand them and especially what they represent physically. So I think the man on the street have rights to understand interpretations too because it doesn't make sense only the math works without able to have any picture of it. At least again with Spacetime (tm). We know what space and time is.

Another thing. With QM. It's not just the math because we have actual systems. So the more harder it is to avoid any physical picture of it but just focusing on the math.

Varon said:
Yes this is also what bothers me. For example in Einstein Spacetime, the theory tells us how reality works, and we have to conform the definition of time and space to the theory, not what really is indepdendent of the theory.
Actually, there are two interpretations -- Einstein's Special Relativity (SR), and the Lorentz Ether Theory (LET) that is equivalent to it. (I'm just continue as if there is only one LET)

No experiment can ever tell us that we should prefer SR over LET, since they make the same predictions. Yet they tell us reality works in different ways. SR talks about simultaneity and how measurements are relative to the measurer. LET talks about how rulers in motion shorten, and how clocks in motion slow down.

Our modern preference for SR over LET is entirely due to pedagogy and Occam's Razor

At least again with Spacetime (tm). We know what space and time is.
That's because people these days spend half of their childhood having Euclidean geometry drilled into their head. And all of their childhood having absolute time drilled into their head. The average man on the street does not have a picture Minkowski space-time of special relativity in their head; if they have a unified picture of spacetime rather than simply individual pictures of space and time, then it's almost certainly the Galilean picture.

The average man on the street has not had quantum mechanics drilled into their head throughout their childhood (except possibly in highly distorted pop science form), and has absolutely no personal experience with the kinds of issues we're discussing in the thread.

Hurkyl said:
Actually, there are two interpretations -- Einstein's Special Relativity (SR), and the Lorentz Ether Theory (LET) that is equivalent to it. (I'm just continue as if there is only one LET)

No experiment can ever tell us that we should prefer SR over LET, since they make the same predictions. Yet they tell us reality works in different ways. SR talks about simultaneity and how measurements are relative to the measurer. LET talks about how rulers in motion shorten, and how clocks in motion slow down.

Our modern preference for SR over LET is entirely due to pedagogy and Occam's Razor

That's because people these days spend half of their childhood having Euclidean geometry drilled into their head. And all of their childhood having absolute time drilled into their head. The average man on the street does not have a picture Minkowski space-time of special relativity in their head; if they have a unified picture of spacetime rather than simply individual pictures of space and time, then it's almost certainly the Galilean picture.

The average man on the street has not had quantum mechanics drilled into their head throughout their childhood (except possibly in highly distorted pop science form), and has absolutely no personal experience with the kinds of issues we're discussing in the thread.

But one thing is for certain. Steven Weinberg is wrong when he said the Theory of Everything won't change or affect the average person. It will and very profoundly. And I'll bet a million dollars for it. Some physicists and neuroscientists know that qualia is not yet described by our present physics. When it does. It will produce stunning emergence that will rock the world. And civilizations and humanity will never be the same again. I know because I have seen the emergence as well as selected people spread across the globe (we have the TOE guiding principle that will show the way). When physics can finally explain what we've seen. Then it will be the Golden Age of Physics and all of Mankind.

Varon said:
But one thing is for certain. Steven Weinberg is wrong when he said the Theory of Everything won't change or affect the average person. It will and very profoundly. And I'll bet a million dollars for it. Some physicists and neuroscientists know that qualia is not yet described by our present physics. When it does. It will produce stunning emergence that will rock the world. And civilizations and humanity will never be the same again. I know because I have seen the emergence as well as selected people spread across the globe (we have the TOE guiding principle that will show the way). When physics can finally explain what we've seen. Then it will be the Golden Age of Physics and all of Mankind.
The kind of TOE that Weinberg is talking about probably wouldn't be at all useful for someone who wants to explain experiences. (Since you seem to define qualia=experiences, I don't see a need to use the fancy word). I don't think it would have a major impact on the rest of the world either. People would obviously talk about it a lot, but they wouldn't have a good reason to change anything they do.

Varon said:

Why? The average person cares about things like mortgages and job stress and grandma's failing health and their children's performance in the school play. What about any of that would change if scientists could all of a sudden mathematically explain their emotions and intellect, instead of just their physiology? Also, you speak as if this would happen overnight .. it would not. Even if someone gets an initial formulation of the theory that is basically correct, it will probably not be accepted by the mainstream right away. Rather, the experimentalists will start trying to test the falsifiable hypotheses formulated by the new theory, to see if it holds water. The results of those experiments will probabily result in some tweaking of the original theory, but if the core of the theory withstands a few decades of pummeling by critics, and is not falsified by experimental testing, then maybe it will be accepted.

Your talk of "emergence" is just science-fiction style bombast as far as I can tell. I can't see any reason why nailing down the "correct" interpretation of QM, or formulating a TOE that is consistent with experiment would lead to "emergence".