What would happen if an electron hit you?

• Thread starter Ralphonsicus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, if an electron traveling faster than the speed of light through water were to hit you, it would not cause any noticeable effects. While it could potentially knock out electrons in your body, the changes would be negligible and only continued exposure or exposure to extremely strong sources could lead to harmful effects.
Ralphonsicus
If an electron traveling faster than the speed of light through water (Cherenkov's Radiation) hit you, what would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing noticeable really. High speed particles (including electrons) are hitting you all the time; and there wouldn't be anything special about an electron traveling at that particular range of speeds.

When the electron hit an atom in your body it would most likely knock out an electron, or possibly many. Changes to a single atom/electron are completely negligible even on a cellular level.

Continued exposure to such electrons ('beta radiation') can lead to DNA damage (enough electrons are knocked off that chemical changes can occur); or from extremely strong sources of beta radiation (i.e. a huge number of electrons), your body could be effectively burned ('radiation burns').

FAQ: What would happen if an electron hit you?

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and orbits around the nucleus of an atom.

2. Can an electron hit me?

Technically, an electron is too small to physically hit you. However, it can interact with your body's atoms and molecules, causing changes in their energy levels.

3. What would happen if an electron hit me?

If an electron were to interact with your body, it would transfer some of its energy to your atoms and molecules. This could potentially cause chemical reactions or damage to cells, depending on the amount of energy transferred.

4. Is there a chance of being hit by an electron?

Electrons are constantly moving and interacting with their surroundings, so it is possible for one to come into contact with your body. However, the chances of this happening are extremely small.

5. Can an electron cause harm if it hits me?

The effects of an electron hitting you would depend on the amount of energy transferred and where it interacts with your body. In most cases, the effects would likely be minimal or unnoticeable. However, in certain situations, such as exposure to high-energy electrons, there could be potential for harm.

Back