What would you throw in a black hole?

In summary, if you could throw anything into a black hole, never to be seen again, it would be a kitchen sink.
IMP said:
Shouldn't the title say "What would you throw into a black hole?". The way it is worded now assumes you are already inside the black hole and are looking for something to throw.

Sorry, just trying to be non-conformist...

LOL you are correct the intent was "What would you throw into..."

That being said if you have the urge to describe what you would throw while inside a black hole I will not protest.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Pattonias said:
LOL you are correct the intent was "What would you throw into..."

That being said if you have the urge to describe what you would throw while inside a black hole I will not protest.
Just don't touch the kitchen sink. There may be a lot hanging on that. :-p

I would throw in money and anything that can be used to make money.

It's just an unnecessary evil. Native Americans survived perfectly fine without money for a long time, I'm sure civilized society can do the same...

Imagine, everyone actually doing a job because it benefits society, and not just because it makes you money... It's a novel idea IMO

Kronos5253 said:

It's just an unnecessary evil. Native Americans survived perfectly fine without money for a long time, I'm sure civilized society can do the same...

Imagine, everyone actually doing a job because it benefits society, and not just because it makes you money... It's a novel idea IMO

Ah, you would make Gene Roddenberry proud.

(All money does is make barter easier)

The native Americans had money - it just wasn't in the form of a central currency. You can find materials for making arrowheads, blades, scrapers, etc all the way across the St. Lawrence and down the Mississippi valley that originated in Maine. Valuable, portable stuff was money. [/pedantic]

Computers. Our lives would be a lot simpler.

Of course, forum discussions would take months or years...

DaveC426913 said:
Computers. Our lives would be a lot simpler.

Of course, forum discussions would take months or years...
What's your mailing address again? My home town was named after Moscow, Russia after word (finally) arrived that Napoleon was going to capture the city. "Nevermind"

turbo-1 said:
The native Americans had money - it just wasn't in the form of a central currency. You can find materials for making arrowheads, blades, scrapers, etc all the way across the St. Lawrence and down the Mississippi valley that originated in Maine. Valuable, portable stuff was money. [/pedantic]

Oh I'm well aware they did. But they didn't have money.. hence why I would get rid of money and anything to do with it haha

Basically meaning you do your job to benefit society, not to gain money. So you would work so that you could contribute to society, and in return for doing that you wouldn't have to, say, go into the store for groceries and pay money for it. You would take what you need and go. But I'm sure you already understand/know all of this, so I'm just expending energy where it's not needed haha

/post

The Nobel Prize in Peace.

Lacy33 said:
The Nobel Prize in Peace.

:smile:

Room 101

Dadface said:
Room 101

How about the phrase "Life is too short"?

How can life be too short? Living is the longest thing you'll ever do, that makes no sense to me...

Nobody suggested lawyers yet?

It would take years before all the paperwork clears and you're given the OK to throw them in.

Just tell the lawyers that religious paraphernalia is being displayed at the offices of the galactic government and that the closest route is through the black hole. They should all throw themselves in.

Kronos5253 said:
How about the phrase "Life is too short"?

How can life be too short? Living is the longest thing you'll ever do, that makes no sense to me...

Well maybe not life itself, put the phrase would sure get stretched out.

Now, what kind of black hole are we talking about here?

Rotating, non-rotating? Neutral, charged?

Office_Shredder said:
It would take years before all the paperwork clears and you're given the OK to throw them in.

Their is a good chance that the qualifying paper work might end up in the hole as well.

I would throw politicians and their political parties in a black hole. I am sick of people being party line without looking at the ideals that these people promote. [/rant]

I would throw in a fixed-rate strobe light and watch it as long as I could.

jambaugh said:
String theorists!

I once heard someone make the observation that if the LHC black hole scares were credible, the worst part about the LHC sucking us all into a black hole would be the fact that we would be stuck, for all eternity, behind the event horizon, with all the string theorists who would never let us forget that they were right.

Kronos5253 said:

I had a great idea. We do away with money. Instead people receive tokens in proportion to how well they help others. We'll call these TokenOfGoodness. How many a person got would be decided as fairly as possible. The person providing the good deed (clean their house, build them a car, mow their lawn...) would negotiate with the person receiving it and they would decide on a LevelOfGoodness. If they couldn't decide then the recipient would look elsewhere. The person receiving the good deed would also have to do good deeds to earn tokens. We dispense with that "Evil Money" and only use TokensOfGoodness and people would only get what they fairly deserve.

Hmmm... something oddly familar there.
[EDIT: Suggested design for the TOG:
attachment.php?attachmentid=21117&stc=1&d=1255481714.png

[2ndEdit]: I think "Level of Goodness" is too awkward a phrase and so suggest the acronym of "Principle Relative Increment of Contributed Ethic" or "P.R.I.C.E."

Attachments

• TokenOfGoodness.png
    TokenOfGoodness.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
I'd probably just spit into it and watch as my saliva drifts off into the abyss.

I'd throw in an equivalent black hole and observe the evolving radiation of the aspherical horizon areas, thus testing the generalized second law of thermodynamics.

Last edited by a moderator: