What's a good book for Green's functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Green's functions in partial differential equations and the recommendation of G.F. Roach's book for a deeper understanding of the theory behind it. The Green's function is also referred to as the impulse response function in engineering and is particularly useful in linear systems.
DavitosanX
Hello! I'm currently taking a course on partial differential equations, and we're using Asmar's textbook. We've reached Green's functions, and even though Asmar is a great book, I feel like I need a deeper study of the subject. Which book would you recommend to help me better grasp the theory behind Green's functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Green's function is called the impulse response function in engineering, a name which is more descriptive of the idea behind it. It is especially useful in linear systems.

Thanks for the link. G.F. Roach's book seems like the way to go. It's not expensive, which is always a good thing.

Related to What's a good book for Green's functions?

1. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It represents the response of a system to an impulse input at a certain point in space and time.

2. Why are Green's functions important?

Green's functions are important because they allow us to solve complex differential equations and understand the behavior of physical systems. They are also useful in many areas of physics, such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

3. How do I find a good book on Green's functions?

There are many good books on Green's functions available, but it ultimately depends on your level of understanding and specific interests. Some popular books include "Green's Functions and Boundary Value Problems" by Ivar Stakgold and "Applied Linear Algebra and Matrix Analysis" by Thomas S. Shores.

4. What are some common applications of Green's functions?

Green's functions have many practical applications, including solving problems in heat transfer, acoustics, and elasticity. They are also used in studying diffusion processes, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

5. What background knowledge is required to understand Green's functions?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to understand Green's functions. Knowledge of complex analysis and Fourier transforms may also be helpful in some cases. Additionally, a background in physics or engineering can aid in understanding the physical applications of Green's functions.