What's a Good Quantum Book for Mathematicians?

In summary, quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding their interactions and has numerous applications in mathematics, including in areas such as cryptography and quantum computing. While some knowledge of physics may be helpful, a background in physics is not necessary for understanding quantum mechanics. However, it does challenge traditional mathematical principles by introducing concepts such as superposition and entanglement and requiring a probabilistic approach. Recommended resources for mathematicians interested in learning about quantum mechanics include books such as "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" and online courses like "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians."
math_owen
I hope this hasn't been asked before. I searched for it, but did not find it. And I haven't really found anything that explicitly is a Quantum book for mathematicians on the web. But it's probably right under my nose.

My question then is what is a good Quantum book for mathematicians? Something along the standards of Arnold for Classical Mechanics or Wald for General Relativity.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the thread!

FAQ: What's a Good Quantum Book for Mathematicians?

1. What is quantum mechanics and how is it relevant to mathematics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is relevant to mathematics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of these particles and their interactions.

2. Is it necessary for mathematicians to have a background in physics to understand quantum mechanics?

No, a background in physics is not necessary for understanding quantum mechanics. While some knowledge of physics may be helpful, quantum mechanics can be understood and studied purely from a mathematical perspective.

3. What are some applications of quantum mechanics in mathematics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in mathematics, including in areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and quantum computing. It also provides insights into the behavior of complex systems and can be used to model and predict quantum phenomena.

4. How does quantum mechanics challenge traditional mathematical principles?

Quantum mechanics introduces concepts such as superposition and entanglement, which challenge traditional mathematical principles such as determinism and the classical laws of physics. It also requires a probabilistic approach to understanding and predicting the behavior of particles, which differs from the deterministic approach of classical mechanics.

5. What are some recommended resources for mathematicians interested in learning about quantum mechanics?

There are several books and online courses specifically aimed at mathematicians who want to learn about quantum mechanics. Some recommended resources include "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" by Leon A. Takhtajan, "Quantum Theory for Mathematicians" by Brian C. Hall, and the online course "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" by Dr. Arthur Jaffe and Dr. Zhengwei Liu.