What's happening to my understanding of math?

• Medical
  • Thread starter davidbenari
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a sudden difficulty understanding basic mathematical concepts, despite being an advanced student in physics. They are frustrated and seeking advice from others who may have had a similar experience. The speaker is also concerned and mentions seeking medical attention.
davidbenari
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but something very horrible is happening to me. And I wanted to know if anyone can relate to it.

It's worth mentioning I'm somewhat advanced in my undergrad as a physics major (3rd semester).
The thing is this (although it probably includes more things than the description I'm about to give):

All of a sudden, negative numbers make no sense to me. All of a sudden I don't know what acceleration is. I don't know why its a constant here on earth. I don't understand how all forces are reducible to F=ma. I don't understand simple stuff like the distributive property or whatever, and other algebraic steps. I have the feeling I don't understand what addition and substraction is.

Although I do understand all this! I love math and love proofs and theorems, so I know why all of those things are valid.

For some reason, I have the same feeling you get when you don't comprehend something, even though I do understand all of this. It's incredibly frustrating, I don't know what's up. It's like I have the feeling of not-understanding even though I do and it's bugging me all the time.

Has anyone had this experience, and know what to do about it?

I've been trying to ignore my thoughts, but it's pretty darn hard.

Thanks for listening.

Edit: I realize this post might make me sound pretty dumb or whatever, put please consider I am a top student, with excellent grades, who has seen "advanced mathematics". Something is seriously wrong here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
David, we are unable to diagnose you. Please see a doctor as soon as possible. I hope you feel better soon.

Likes Alexandra7, Vanadium 50 and berkeman

FAQ: What's happening to my understanding of math?

What's happening to me?

This is a common question people ask when they experience changes in their bodies or behaviors. Here are five frequently asked questions and their answers:

1. Why am I feeling anxious/depressed/stressed?

There can be many reasons for feeling anxious, depressed, or stressed. It could be due to external factors such as work or personal relationships, or it could be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It's important to seek help from a mental health professional to determine the specific cause and address it accordingly.

2. Why am I experiencing physical symptoms like headaches or stomachaches?

Physical symptoms can also be caused by a variety of factors. It could be due to stress, lack of sleep, or an underlying medical condition. It's important to consult with a doctor to rule out any potential health issues and address the root cause.

3. Why am I going through mood swings?

Mood swings can be caused by hormonal changes, stress, or mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder. Keeping track of triggers and seeking therapy can help manage and regulate mood swings.

4. Why am I suddenly gaining/losing weight?

Weight changes can be caused by fluctuations in diet and exercise habits, as well as underlying medical conditions. It's important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause and develop a plan to maintain a healthy weight.

5. Why am I experiencing changes in my menstrual cycle?

Changes in the menstrual cycle can be caused by hormonal imbalances, stress, or underlying medical conditions. It's important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause and address any potential issues.